PDA

View Full Version : computer not closing properly

lobo222
02-05-2004, 08:25 AM
When shutting down computer ie, shutting down windows, a warning comes up with " ANNCLIST" & unless I click ok to this it WONT shut down , but when I do click ok , it close somewhat normally. Any ideas how I can fix this problem ??????

Pheonix
02-05-2004, 10:13 AM
Annclist is a MS windows file which is included on the win98 CD Rom. It is associated with WebTV and is listed under "TV viewer" in the startup items. If you will notice when you search for "annclist" it will come up with 2 files, one "annclist.exe" and "annclist.fil" they should be as follows:
annclist.exe > 132 KB, 4/23/99
annclist.fil > 144 KB, 4/23/99
most likely, something has updated one of these files, probably the ".fil". It may be the same size, but the wrong date (eg newer). This is what is causing you shutdown and restart problems. You will need to re-extract whichever one is not exactly as listed above as follows:

click start > run > type in "SFC"
select "extract one file"
then type in "annclist.fil" (or whichever one)
click start
that will open an extract file window:
restore from: :\win98
save file in: c:\program files\tvviewer

click
then it will ask you if you want to back up. Just click OK. If it brings up another another window telling you the folder does not exist, just click OK on that also.

That should take you to another window that tells you that the file has been successfully extracted, but you must restart.
click OK and try restarting, and if not, then just turn computer off and back on again. When you try restarting/ shutting off after that it should work fine.

Jen C
02-05-2004, 10:18 AM
Hi and Welcome to PressF1 :)

You are running Windows 98? ANNCLIST is part of the WebTV program that comes with Win98. You need to repair the files for ANNCLIST to get rid of this error message using your Windows 98 installation disk and the system file checker (SFC) program.

You can find specific instructions on how to do this by following "response number 4" here ( http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/13012.html).

Let us know how you got on.

Jen C
02-05-2004, 10:22 AM
Ah, I see Pheonix has given the same advice :)

As a side note Pheonix, if you are going to copy and paste someone else's work, you should give credit to that person, or post a reference link to your source.