PDA

View Full Version : OT: TVNZ site - "done with errors"

Woof
01-05-2004, 03:28 PM
Just tried (out of sheer boredom) to check the TVNZ TVOne site for program details. Home page loads okay but slowly then the page for Saturday's programs loads s l o w l y and finishes withOUT the program content and the message (in botom lefthand corner of IE) "Done but with errors on page"

1) Why are these website pages s l o w to download ? (is it because
they are bloated with Flash ?)

2) Why would the page be "Done but with errors" ? (Does this sugest that my security settings are too secure for the site ? - if so then I know not to go there again !)

beetle
01-05-2004, 03:42 PM
I just had a loo to and its slow and not loading properly for me ether, and blank sections for where tv program list is supposed to be.

so maybe its the site not you.

i did find pics flashing there / not there etc, and some of the txt doing that to......flashing...
weird.

never had a problem with this site before myself its in my bookmarks in Mozilla.

so no help except it may be their prob not yours.

beetle

Jen C
01-05-2004, 03:47 PM
I was getting that as well previously. However, I just checked it now and it is loading fine. Under "What's On" here (http://www.tvnz.co.nz/view/tvone_index_skin/tvone_index_group), the programs are now listed - in the past it gave a page loading error and left them blank. It also seems to think today is Friday as well?!

The general listing schedules site (http://www.tvnz.co.nz/view-preempt/tvnz_epg_skin/) also seemed to think it was Friday ?:| I am pretty sure today is Saturday and the weekend, after all, it has been raining non-stop :p

I don't know whether my browser affects this, but the general channel schedule always loads at 12.00am - the previous NZOOM site used to load at the appropriate time period.

I think the site has a few bugs to be worked out still - it hasn't been live for that long.

Browser: Firefox 0.7 Linux

Graham L
01-05-2004, 03:50 PM
Slow loading pages often indicate that there are people employed to maintain the site. They keep busy by continually "improving" it, by adding things. Every element on the page takes time to load. Every pictorial element takes a lot of time. If they decide their text looks "best" if they control the fonts used, the only way they can enforce that is by sending a picture of the text. A picture of text is much bigger than the text characters. Etcetera. A page can get very slow, very quickly.

"done with errors" can mean that you are using some means of stopping advertisements and other irritating "features".

Woof
01-05-2004, 03:52 PM
Yes, I agree - today IS Saturday

Maybe it's a sign of how NOT uptodate TVNZ is/isn't...

Just tried again but still the same for me = slow and errors on page = no programs

Maybe it already knows I generally watch Triangel (DW) and Prime with a little TV3 thrown in here and there

Thanks

robo
02-05-2004, 09:41 AM
Nzoom used to be good. I miss it. NZCity used to be good, you could tell it what type of stories you were interested in and that you didn't want astrology.
But half filling with "news" about tv shows which is really advertising is an insult. But getting a page that is regularly updated and gives you access to lots of different things like sports results seems to be too much to ask. I think the new TVNZ thing is veyr disappointing.
robo.

stu120404
02-05-2004, 12:03 PM
When I go to the TVNZ website, the top & bottom of the page never load, they load after I have to click on a news story or another link.

Woof
02-05-2004, 06:10 PM
Good Points

I have recently updates ZoneAlarm and agred to a trial period of the Pro version and, I think, Ad Blocking - although I still get all the ads on this site so maybe that feature was in a recent PREVIOUS trial

Also I note that in thiese trials of Pro version the choice for auto versus maunual updating is, annoyingly, DISabled - must remember to watch carefully for this aspect in A
LL other 'free' trials......