PDA

View Full Version : Win95 pc logon screen from previous owners

Neil McC
01-05-2004, 12:28 PM
Can any of you bright guys(or gals) out there tell me how to remove the log on screen that comes up when a friends pc is booting up.Also managed to set up Outlook Express so we could get online,but sometimes the logon screen comes up on that too.Ok,so we just cancel it,but would be nice to get rid of it.Also,she has IE5,is it possible or worth it to upgrade that to 5.5?What a performance to get Outlook set up.She's been given this pc.Found it had 2 drives on it!!!!One being 2Gb and the other a 1Gb,so cleaned off the 1 for her to use for photos,etc!! Also an external modem,which worked,after I discovered it doesn't like the beeps you get with CallMinder if there's a message there for you.Such fun on a Saturday.
:-(

mikebartnz
01-05-2004, 12:34 PM
With Win95 create a new user (under Control Panel) then log on as the new user and delete the old one. It's been a while since I've been in 95 but I'm sure that will do it. As for IE I wouldn't know because I don't like viruses.

tommy
01-05-2004, 01:01 PM
I would suggest that instead of using Internet Explorer an older version of Opera (eg version 6.x) be obtained and used for better internet security. The latest version will be too slow on an older computer. You could also try and obtain an alternative email client to Outlook Express.

Jen C
01-05-2004, 01:34 PM
You can upgrade IE to 5.5 so that she gets the better security encyption support, it really depends on the hardware specs what other browsers can be supported. As already mentioned, an older Opera version may do.

I have recently setup a friends second hand PC that runs Win95 and to remove the unwanted account, you just do what mikebartnz suggested. Don't forget also delete their associated folders to clear up some more room. What I also did, was download and install TweakUI for Win95 and used it to set up an automatic login when booting. Saves the user having to login in time. You can get Tweak UI 1.33 (http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp) from here.

Terry Porritt
01-05-2004, 09:20 PM
In TweakUI you can in fact disable the boot splash screen, so there may be no need to create new accounts.
It can also be removed by editing msdos.sys with a text editor after first removing the s,h,r attributes, and adding logo=0. Then restore s,h,r.

I see no reason why IE5.5 cannot be installed, nothing wrong with IE :), just apply all the security updates applicable to it.
It was on PC World CDs about 3 years ago, but should also be downloadable.

Terry Porritt
01-05-2004, 09:23 PM
I cant read :(, logon screen not splash screen; not with it tonight, dum dum.

Neil McC
01-05-2004, 10:15 PM
Thanks for your replies.Should have IE5.5 somewhere,since I've been buying PC mags for about 3 years now! And Jen,I've downloaded TweakUI and will give that a go.Don't want to confuse the lady with more browsers! And my free cd arrived today at last,from Microsoft.About 2 months later!

Terry Porritt
02-05-2004, 11:36 AM
It is probable that only IE 5.5 SP1 is on older mag. CDs. IE 5.5 is no longer downloadable from Microsoft, but I found this (http://browsers.evolt.org/download.php?/ie/32bit/5.5_SP2/) site where SP2 can be still downloaded from a choice of mirror sites. It is however many megabytes, ~84MB.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
02-05-2004, 05:30 PM
I assume you mean the Windows Logon box which you have to clear before you actually get into Windows, rather than a dial-up box.

Easiest way to fix this is as follows:

- Search the PC for *.pwl files.
- Delete your all.pwl files in the Windows folder.
- Restart Windows.
- Enter a username (ISP username is a good idea)
- Leave the password field blank and click on OK when prompted for a password in the "Enter Windows Password" box.
- Leave both password fields blank in the "Set Windows Password" box and click on OK.

You shouldn't be prompted again after that.

Neil McC
03-05-2004, 08:30 AM
Thanks wtf
:-)