PDA

View Full Version : ADSL

Scottie
29-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Hi Everyone,

I live in a two level house and have ADSL downstairs. My parents now want it up stairs as well. Not prepared just yet to go wireless. I have a router down stairs which connects 3 pc's at this stage.
If I was to set DSL up for my parents how many line filters will I need? I have a total of 7 Telephone Jackpoints and 1 ADSL jackpoint.

The old lady doesnt want a network cable going throughout the house (all mothers say that it is just clutter haha).

I was just going to get Telecom to come out and wire up another jackpoint but would like to avoid that if I could.

Cheers.

Murray P
29-04-2004, 06:30 PM
As far as I know you can only have 1 connection per account although you can share that connection as much as you like. So you will need to network in some fashion to share the connection from upstairs, eg, wireless, usb or ethernet cable, via existing power or phone system. Or get a second adsl account and line for upstairs.

If your mum doesn't want cables running around the skirting, etc or holes drilled, why not a wireless access point and card to add to the existing setup.

Cheers Murray P

godfather
29-04-2004, 06:52 PM
Murray is correct.

You can only have 1 ADSL modem connected to a phone line. That will not allow them to connect another modem upstairs.

The modems would interfere with each others signals and neither would work.

Scottie
29-04-2004, 07:22 PM
The amount of time that my parents would use the internet is going to be very much. Therefore when they wanted to use the internet i would just disconnect my router down stairs totally and allow them to connect through there DSL modem.

This will still work wont it.

I wont be having 2 pc's connected at the same time through 2 different jackpoints.

godfather
29-04-2004, 07:40 PM
Yes that would work.
As long as the unused one was disconnected from the line.

somebody
29-04-2004, 07:44 PM
>"I have a total of 7 Telephone Jackpoints and 1 ADSL jackpoint."

Because you have had a splitter installed at your house, you will need to get Telecom to install a 2nd ADSL jackpoint off your exiting point. You won't be able to use any existing telephone jackpoints in the house.

Lohsing
29-04-2004, 07:54 PM
> I live in a two level house and have ADSL downstairs.
> My parents now want it up stairs as well. Not
> prepared just yet to go wireless.

May I be nosey and ask why you don't want to go wireless?

Lo.

Jester
29-04-2004, 08:29 PM
Why cant you just run another cable up through the ceiling to your parent's PC and you all share the same router?

J
:D

whiskeytangofoxtrot
29-04-2004, 09:08 PM
> The amount of time that my parents would use the
> internet is going to be very much.

If they are going to being using the net so little that hauling a DSL modem upstairs everytime they want to use it isn't going to be a massive pain in the ass why not just use a pre-paid dial-up account?