PDA

View Full Version : really simple sound question

TheBOKE
27-04-2004, 05:51 PM
i want my sound to only have one channel. this is because one of my speakers doesnt work, creating a few problems.
firstly, in alot of my music some of a song is only supposed to come out of the left channel. since my right channel is the only one that works, i dont hear that part of the song. this is also a problem in games like counter strike, when i cant hear people walking up to me from my left because it is coming out of the channel that doesnt work. so i want all my channels to come out of the one working speaker. any option tweaks or programs are invited to be spoken about.

Jester
27-04-2004, 05:59 PM
You could get an adapter that changes your speaker's stereo plug to a mono one to plug into your computer OR get a cheap pair of headphones from Warehouse stationery ($30 for ones with nice padding and a microphone - so you can warble to your heart's content while playing online) and use them when playing games. Much nicer for your family too - they don't need to hear 'fire in the hole' even 10 seconds..

Stereo sound is VERY important in fps games - you need to know where the sound came from and be quiet yourself to sneak up on the enemy!

J
:D

TheBOKE
27-04-2004, 06:05 PM
come on, please....

i just want 1 channel sound and there HAS to be some program that enables it.

mejobloggs
27-04-2004, 07:31 PM
Doesnt seem to be. I asked the same question a few weeks ago, and all that came up was getting MP3 to play in mono.

Elephant
27-04-2004, 07:33 PM
Well I wish you luck reprogramming games like counterstrike from stereo to mono. If there is a solution to your problem I don't know what it would be.

What I would do is to purchase another set of speakers so that both left and right channels are audible. You don't have to get expensive speakers either.

You don't mention what soundcard you have.

It appears to me that you want to convert Stereo to Mono on both Audio CDs and Games and you want a software solution to do this. Am I right?

Noel Nosivad
27-04-2004, 07:36 PM
Hey TheBOKE,

Does switching the balance have any affect?

Actually there should be a sound setting that allows mono speakers, or even try headphones settings, as long as it's not stereo settings it should work.

Noel Nosivad

Billy T
27-04-2004, 07:36 PM
To be honest Rhys, your request is so unusual that I doubt any soundcard manufacturer ever considered the possibility of mono output, and the same goes for software designers.

The simplest & easiest solution is to go buy another speaker, you can pick them up cheaply from second hand shops if you are short of money. If they are powered speakers, go for the headphone solution.

If you are desperate and willing to take the risk, you could try combining both outputs into the one speaker. It should work OK but no guarantees! There is a remote possibility you could kill your sound card.

All this presumes that your speakers are passive units, that is, they don't connect to the power anywhere and just take audio power from your sound card. If they are powered (or one powered and a satellite), provided that it is the satellite that is dead the second hand stereo speaker is a good option.

Any other system will require technical knowledge to combine the two signal feeds into one at the input of the speaker. problem is, even stereo to mono adapters may not help if your speaker plug doesn't contact properly to take a mono signal on each input.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Noel Nosivad
27-04-2004, 07:40 PM
Hey Elephant,

What he wants is mono sound, which means left sound and right sound are outputted at the same level and also produces the same sound, so left and right are identical, it will make playing your game harder though, because you will now think they are all around you :P

For your games you can just change the sound settings to mono sound possibly?

Noel Nosivad

Growly
27-04-2004, 07:42 PM
If you want it for music etc, then use winamp, it can change between mono and stereo at will.

If you want to play games with it, then if they are FPS may as well not have sound...

ilikelinux
27-04-2004, 07:52 PM
Right.
1. open up the volume control.
2. up the top there will be a bar that is horicontle with a pointer in the middle.,
on the most left one (the master volume) drag the pointer to the right.

now sound should / will only come out 1 speaker as configured.

Jester
27-04-2004, 08:02 PM
> For your games you can just change the sound settings
> to mono sound possibly?

I just looked in the CS sound settings - you cannot select mono as an option.

This (http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/408e121e0c720936273fc0a87f9906ab/Product/View/P6600) mono plug to stereo socket is $4.95 at Dick Smith. It may do what you want.

I was thinking that a stereo 3.5 plug to mono 3.5 socket (reverse to the above) would be better but can't find one at DSE.

J
:D

mejobloggs
27-04-2004, 11:48 PM
> If you want it for music etc, then use winamp, it can
> change between mono and stereo at will.

How? I could not seem to find any. I want to play .mod files on mono in winamp (2.91 or something)