PDA

View Full Version : Virus Attack

B.M.
27-04-2004, 02:14 PM
I just suffered a surprise attack by the W32.NetSky.C worm, which came via Poster.rtf.scr.
Fortunately Mr Norton leapt out of bed and made an arrest.

Now, the reason I tell you this is that it came in an E-Mail to my Xtra account. Up to now Xtra’s virus catcher has caught everything and Mr Norton had become virtually redundant.

Question is has anybody else had a similar experience?

Jester
27-04-2004, 03:06 PM
That's ironic. Many Xtra users aren't getting any mail at all - Xtra say it due to the demand their servers are under with spam and viruses.

You are the lucky one getting mail ..... but it's a virus !

ugh1
27-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Pitty the fool or brave at heart who thinks the ISP has better virus protection then themselves.

Any virus protection is only useful after the fact, and is also only as good as its updates so relying on your ISP to have a crystal ball, or updating every 10mS is a bit unrealistic.

What is an upshot is that you could stop paying norton for updates and look at a free solution, which combined with the ISP will offer you just as good protection.

Woof
27-04-2004, 05:37 PM
Maybe Mrs Xtra is turning OFF certain features to 'save power' while they try to cope with their current problems..............

If so I'll bet they won't be telling anyone AND they still ecpect to get paid for that 'service'.

B.M.
27-04-2004, 06:15 PM
That thought crossed my mind too Woof.

Up till now they haven't missed a thing.

Heaps of messages as to what they have caught but nothing for Mr Norton to do.

All of a sudden a common and well known one misses their net.

Ahhh well, Mr Norton was all up to date and waiting for a chance to strut his stuff. :D

nalla
27-04-2004, 06:54 PM
Hi To reply to your question I also got 2 of the same through xtra. Norton caught both.