PDA

View Full Version : Setting Up my Wireless LAN

Sulley
27-04-2004, 12:31 AM
Hi everyone.
I have recently bought and installed 2 x 802.11b wireless LAN cards on my two computers running winxp pro edition. As I am not using a router, I've set my "network type" as 802.11 Ad Hoc instead of infrastructure on both computers. I have file sharing and internet connection sharing installed.

My problem is, on my server comp, I can't detect my client under "my network places", which means that I don't have access to the files on my client comp. But strangely, it works in the other direction, my client comp can access all my files w/o problem.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?
Any Suggestions appreciated. Thx!

Oh just incase its necessary, i've set my wireless connection setting as:

I've set my IP address on the server as:

And on my client:
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1

(P.S. Sorry bout the poor grammar, getting late now :( )

Marlboro
27-04-2004, 08:28 AM
I have had the same problem in the past with connecting my Vaio to a Mac Powerbook via 802.11b.

The way I got around it was mapping the network drive by typing in the IP address followed by the share on the PC ie: 192.168.0.2\(shared_name)

Hope this helps?

Susan B
27-04-2004, 09:26 AM
Make sure that the Windows XP firewall is disabled as it prevents file and printer sharing.

bk T
27-04-2004, 09:37 AM
> Make sure that the Windows XP firewall is disabled as
> it prevents file and printer sharing.

Does it mean that XP's firewall can't be used at all in a Network? It's next to useless, then???

Susan B
27-04-2004, 09:43 AM
> Does it mean that XP's firewall can't be used at all in a Network? It's next to useless, then???

No, not entirely useless. It protects your network against undesired incoming traffic from the Internet but it should only be used on a direct connection to the Internet, such as a dial-up, DSL, or cable modem. If your computer gets its Internet connection through a software router (like Internet Connection Sharing) or a hardware router, you don't have a direct connection and must not enable ICF.

It also does not prevent programs going OUT into the internet, eg spyware, trojans, etc so you have no protection against that.

A third party firewall is the best solution. :-)