PDA

View Full Version : Another Heat issue

M@TT
26-04-2004, 04:24 PM
Sorry if this is a bit of a repeat but i really cant figure out what the problem is. My computer idles at 60C with a sys temp of 55C. When i run it hard it tends to get towards the 70C+ area. This seems a little too hot for comfort. My systems specs are as follows
- AMD Athlon XP 2100+
- Gigabyte GA-7VKMP-P Motherboard
- 2x 128mb pic n mix ram
- System fun running at around 1800 rpm
- Volcano 9 HSF running @ 2000 rpm
- Large roomy Hairong case,

I have applied thermal paste and all that with proper jumpers etc and it still runs at these temps. Could anyone possibly shed some light on this or a possible solution?

tweak\'e
26-04-2004, 04:31 PM
what are you useing to measure the temp with?

>a sys temp of 55C

something wrong here. either you have no airflow or the sensor is reading wrong.

also what is the room temp?

tweak\'e
26-04-2004, 04:34 PM
sorry little slow today......

what happens when you take the side of the case off ??

Graham L
26-04-2004, 04:40 PM
It is very important that air heated by the "heatsinks" can get out of the case. Otherwise, fans are much like Internet forums really, just stirring hot air. :O

Try taking the cover off the box. If the temperature drops markedly, you haven't got enough air flow. A quick and dirty approach would be to take off any blanking panels in the front-access disk shelves.

The other possibility is that the temperature "measurements" are wrong. Just because a computer says it doesn't mean it's true.

With the reading at 70C, touch the fins of the heatsink. If you can hold your finger on it for much more than a second, it's not 70C. ;-)

Big John
26-04-2004, 04:50 PM
How are you measuring the Temperature?

If you are using the onboard sensors then there are two possibilties that may give wrong results.

1st is you may have the wrong sensor selected. I know on mine I have a choice of about 3 and only 1 is the actual temp.

2nd is that the onboard sensors are not really that good anyway.

I know my P4 3.2 Ghz was running quite hot. The system said it was idling at about 48 degrees and when playing games was getting close to 80 degrees. I removed the standard P4 heat sink and put on a Zalman copper/aluminium one and it now idles at about 40-44 and nevers gets about 65.

Ambient temp is another big one. If the air around the case is warm/humid then there will be reduced cooling as well. Mine certainly got quite warm in the summer months but now is about 6-10 degrees cooler. Opening the windows in the room also helps.

Davesdad
26-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Go to http://mbm.livewiredev.com/ and click on Mother Board list, choose your Mother Board and you can see which sensor is use to measure the CPU temp.

Davesdad
26-04-2004, 05:13 PM
> - Volcano 9 HSF running @ 2000 rpm

Also, are you using the thermal probe for the Volcano 9 and if so where is it positioned. 2000 rpm is quite slow for the temperatures you hav quoted.

mejobloggs
26-04-2004, 05:44 PM
Ok, here is your problem. Your motherboard does not support the HALT command. Which means that your CPU does not idle.

The latest bios from MSI for my board, had a "detect cpu HALT command" feature added in. If you have not already, try upadating your bios, and looking for that somewhere.

Alternativly you can get a program that you run, takes up about 1mb of memory, and it does the job of the halt command. I use MSI Cooler XP, but there are ones for any motherboard I think.

I found that the MSI Cooler XP messed the sound, and If i wanted to play midi and stuff, I would have to close it. Seems alright for mp3s though, maybe the occasional squeek.

M@TT
28-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Hi, yes i am using onboard sensors. I had a go at what you suggested an stuk my finger on the Heat Sink, suprise suprise it didnt seem that hot at all. After a think i pulled the Heatsink off, took the fan off and sanded off the bottom of the copper bottom, that took off a lot of crud and old thermal grease. I then put some fresh grease on and that helps alot.

The temp is now around the 45C mark getting up to 57C when i run Prime95 torture test :D
thanks for you help

M@TT
28-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Hi, yes i am using onboard sensors. I had a go at what you suggested an stuk my finger on the Heat Sink, suprise suprise it didnt seem that hot at all. After a think i pulled the Heatsink off, took the fan off and sanded off the bottom of the copper bottom, that took off a lot of crud and old thermal grease. I then put some fresh grease on and that helps alot.

The temp is now around the 45C mark getting up to 57C when i run Prime95 torture test :D
thanks for you help

M@TT
28-04-2004, 08:17 PM
Thank for you help. Had a go at the toughing the heatsink fins and founf them to be not very hot. In the end i took the zheatsink off and sanded the copper bottom to remove all the old crud. Aftyer that i put some more thermal grease on and it has been going fine now (45C)
thanks for your help

Davesdad
29-04-2004, 11:12 AM
> In the end i took the zheatsink off and sanded the
> copper bottom to remove all the old crud.

You should use isopropyl alcohol to remove the old thermal paste. It jjust dissolves away. Sand paper will damage the surface of the heatsink.