PDA

View Full Version : OT Cellular Phone Bands

Billy T
26-04-2004, 03:25 PM
Hi Team

Am I right in assuming that AMPS, D-AMPS, CDMA and GSM are all operating withing the 800-900 MHz cellular band, or do we have equipment up in the European 1800MHz band operating here now?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Alasta
26-04-2004, 08:07 PM
I think Vodafone own some 1800MHz spectrum, and I have heard a rumour that they may be using this spectrum to increase capacity in parts of Auckland.

zminos
26-04-2004, 08:25 PM
yes you'd be right Billy... I'll get the models for you from work... but you also have to allow for "import phones" that use 1800mhz.

:)

robo
26-04-2004, 08:38 PM
Tri-band is required for US, we use two bands here and the third is over there. This is all talking GSM spectrum.
AMPS is gone, man, and DAmps not far away from going. I don't know what they operate in but they are quite different from GSM. Not sure where CDMA lives.
robo.

Billy T
26-04-2004, 11:05 PM
I am distressed to hear that AMPS has gone robo, because I still have three 025 pre-pay phones running on that network and I was talking to my wife on one this very evening :D

I was really wanting to know if G3 (1800MHz) was up and running, but I can't see how a tri-band phone or any other 1800MHz phone can work withut a full complement of 1800-enabled cellsites to interface with.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

robo
27-04-2004, 08:18 AM
Are you sure? Unless it was DAMPS that they removed, I would have sworn that they killed off AMPS. They aren't running three networks, I would be very certain of that. DAMPS phones have been around for like nine years. You don't have three Motorola bricks, do you?
robo.

Billy T
27-04-2004, 09:19 AM
*cough*

Now I have to air my dirty laundry in public:(

Yes I do have a fairly old style Motorola, and if "brick" means a chunky flip-top, yes it is of that breed but sans the flip so it is one model newer :)

The others include an equally old Nokia 918, and the flagship of the fleet is a Nokia 5125 that is dual system analogue/digital (a recent replacement for a stolen 918). They all started on the old Gold Mobile prepay system that was subsequently taken over by Telecom.

Jokes aside, they are definitely analogue, I will resist digital until I have no other option, their transmission signal characteristics are too invasive on the brain for my liking. I expect to get another couple of years before they are compulsorily retired.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
Did you know that European researchers tested
nearly 300 brands of heart pacemakers and found that
digital phones in the 900MHz band could interfere with
their operation, causing them to drop to "default" settings
until the interference was removed?

godfather
27-04-2004, 09:26 AM
I can assure you that AMPS is still functioning. I am intimately aware of thousands of AMPS units (for remote data retrieval) installed and working right now.

However, the number of AMPS channels may have been reduced, to make way for the newer technology. I have had instances of lack of performance from AMPS cells, however. Probably due to the lack of retuning as capacity is removed.

I have advised my clients to expect to have to replace the units in 5 years time, and that was 3 years ago. I have never seen a firm date for the removal of AMPS entirely though.

A lot of Nokia 918's out there still as well. However if one ever browsed across the AMPS band with a scanner, you would find very little activity these days. Not that one would do that of course.

Susan B
27-04-2004, 09:34 AM
> their transmission signal characteristics are too invasive on the brain for my liking.

Even when using an earplug with the phone parked on a table, etc, Billy?

Billy T
27-04-2004, 12:31 PM
> if one ever browsed across the AMPS band with a
> scanner, you would find very little activity these
> days. Not that one would do that of course.

:8} More embarrassment. Back at the beginning of last year I did just that and there wasn't.

It's a bugger being a dinosaur.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)