PDA

View Full Version : OE6 - Backing up and reinstalling message folders.

Scouse
26-04-2004, 01:29 PM
Hi Folks. Moving from one machine to another similar - both using OE6 - it is easy to copy and reinstall the Address Book. Is there a similar process for copying and reinstalling a large number of received and sent messages which are in a variety of folders and sub-folders under Folder List? I'm possibly looking at it without recognising it. Thanks.

SKT174
26-04-2004, 02:09 PM
To find out your old OE6 msg locations .. start OE6 - goto Tools -> options -> Maintenance Tab -> Store Folder button.

Once you've got the location, copy the Outlook Express Folder from the old PC to any folder on the new PC.

On the new PC just do the same thing - start OE6 - goto Tools -> options -> Maintenance Tab -> Store Folder button -> Change and choose the folder which has your old OE6 msg.

OE6 will tell you something like it has find another Store would to like to switch to it, click YES, restart and you've got all your old msgs again.

Cheers

Scouse
26-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Hi SKT Thanks for your prompt reply. Have you successfully used this transaction? Had a look at it. Backed off though. It looks as though it transfers the information to a new location. I actually want to copy it and install a copy in a new location, leaving the original. I certainly don't want to crap on my original by transferring the folders and contents to a floppy, en route to a new machine. Thanks.

Jim B
26-04-2004, 05:47 PM
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/

SKT174
26-04-2004, 06:05 PM
No . you won't be changing the original at all .. Once you know the location of your existing OE6 msg folder, make a copy on a CD or some media ..

Take it to your new PC and copy it to a location you want. Start OE6 and then change the location ..

Yes . I have done this many times ... and it never fails.

You are only copying the original folder, no harm can be done :D

Scouse
28-04-2004, 02:18 PM
Hi SKT174 and Jim B. Many thanks for your assistance. Got it going well. Thanks too to Jim B for the Tomsterdan site. Their little backup proram is neat. Appreciated.