PDA

View Full Version : OT: Lest We Forget

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
25-04-2004, 07:17 PM
I honestly really think there is a need for this.

This thread is to honour the people who have fought on behalf of us and got caught in the deadly disease called warfare, in order to make this place and time better for us, as it is now.

Governor-General Dame Silvia Cartwright:
"Today is the day we grieve for all those New Zealanders who have died or been wounded, sacrificed to this deadly disease called war, Today is a day of many emotions, among them sorrow, guilt, pain and pride. It is also a day of disquiet, a day when we think of a new generation of young men and women who serve our country in nearly 20 places of conflict around the world, from the Solomons to the Middle East. Today we pray that our nation, our soldiers and our future generations will be spared the terrible fate of those New Zealanders who died for us and for our country. And today we renew our commitment to protecting and promoting peace here at home and in those places around the world where we work to help achieve that elusive dream What New Zealand didn't know at the time was that worse was to come. Other battles in World War 1, particularly on the Western Front, then World War 2, Korea, Vietnam, right up to recent times. The last New Zealand soldier to die in action, Private Leonard Manning, died in East Timor in July 2000 Many families never got the chance to bury the bodies of their dead sons. Too many of our soldiers never returned home, even briefly, to say goodbye and to feel the ground from which they came. Look at them and wonder at the fears of their families, at their terror as they faced fierce fighting and watched their friends die, Today, on the morning of Anzac Day 2004, we remember New Zealanders killed in war. And we honour our returned servicemen and women. The story of New Zealanders serving their country is one redolent of both pride and sorrow. We are intensely proud of the heroism and bravery of those who fought. But there is sorrow at the loss of life, the loss of friends and family, the loss of so many good New Zealanders, There are few New Zealand families that have not been touched by loss of life, or injury in these wars fought by young men and women often in places so remote, so exotic that many would not previously have heard of them. We therefore remember not only those who died, but their friends and comrades, their families, their sons and daughters, their fathers and mothers We remember in particular today our cousins across the Tasman with whom our soldiers fought side by side. Like us, they are today reflecting on the courage and sacrifice of those who fought for our countries, for our safety and for our peace."

Susan B
25-04-2004, 08:17 PM
I think you could have posted this in Billy T's WFTWE thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=46531). ;-)

StevieRay
25-04-2004, 08:21 PM
> I think you could have posted this in Billy T's
> WFTWE thread (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&t
> read=46531). ;-)

Tut tut tut

dumdum
25-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Lest We Forget

brewer
26-04-2004, 12:10 AM
Well done sy.

Pheonix
26-04-2004, 12:20 AM
In this case, who cares what thread it is in.

It is our thoughts and remembrance that counts.

Lest we Forget.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
26-04-2004, 12:27 AM
> I think you could have posted this in Billy T's
> read=46531). ;-)

Why? A lot of people don't bother to read those that would read this.

PoWa
26-04-2004, 12:53 AM
:^O :^O :^O

StevieRay
26-04-2004, 06:45 PM
> > I think you could have posted this in Billy T's
> >
>
> > read=46531). ;-)
>
> Why? A lot of people don't bother to read those that
> would read this.

I agree

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
26-04-2004, 07:14 PM
> This thread is to...

Thread not post. Personally I have never intentionally read any of those WFTW posts. Don't you think people who fought for us deserved to have a thread to themselves in honour of what they did? I really wonder how many people committed themselves to dawn ceremoney on a chilly Sunday morning... the nation needs some help, maybe we can ask the Auzzies :p They seem to have thing sussed seeing as they break turnout records year by year....