PDA

View Full Version : Excel Word problem

tedheath
22-04-2004, 12:26 PM
I cant seem to paste an Excel spreadsheet into a Word document.
It pastes the numbers etc but the formulas dont work it appears to be plain Word. If you press enter on the end it just makes another row. Did a search on F1 but no replies that worked were posted.
I have W98SE Excel 97 and Word 2000.
The help says: click chart you want to copy, click copy, switch to Word, click where you want to paste, on edit menu click paste special, in AS box click Microsoft Excel 8.0 chart object (problem may be here, there is no excel 8 on the menu) anyway i clicked MS Excel worksheet option there are no other excel options in menu, then click paste.
And it doesnt work.
What am i doing wrong? is Excel 97 and Word 2000 incompatible?
I am trying to make a quote form for my business.
I need Word for the bla bla at the begining and end. At the moment I use table in word and add things up with calculator and its mistake city.
Thanks for any help.

tedheath

Rob99
22-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Try inserting an object from the insert menu in word
click link to file
Select the excel document
To update change the excel file then open the word file and the data is updated.

Rob

tedheath
22-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Thanks for replying Rob.
I went to Word, insert menu and there is no link to file in the drop down menu .
I have word 2000.

thanks
tedheath

tedheath
22-04-2004, 01:20 PM
Problem solved, dumb people like me shouldnt be allowed to use computers.
The excel worksheet was there, I didnt know I had to double click on the sheet for it to open in Word

Thanks
tedheath

Rob99
22-04-2004, 02:01 PM
>> I went to Word, insert menu and there is no link to file in the drop down menu .

There should be Object

Insert > Object > Create from file > Link to file > browse for the file you want inserted

Rob

Fire-and-Ice
22-04-2004, 02:04 PM
> At the moment I use table in word and add things up with calculator and its mistake city.

You can make a table in Word then in the Sum cell go to Table|Formula and it should have automatically suggested a formula to add up your column, eg =SUM(ABOVE).

When the numbers change Right Click and choose Update Field.

Saves messing around with importing Excel spreadsheets. ;-)

tedheath
22-04-2004, 05:28 PM
Thanks fire I was aware of formula in table but I need to have a discount % for some customers and add gestapo to total and seperate totals for labour van parts etc.
Thanks for taking the time out to reply.

tedheath