PDA

View Full Version : Excel Problem

caffy
22-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Hi,

In the middle of doing an assignment - using Excel.

I have a problem with autocorrecting - whenever I type in a number like 1-15 (to represent 1 out of 15) or 1/15, it keeps autocorrecting it to Jan-15. Other numbers like 6/15 or 6-15 change to June-15.

How do I change this? I need the data to be in the fraction format, so i can make a pie chart.

On another thought - How do I make a pie chart? I have data of ethnicity, like Chinese, Korean, NZer, Tongan etc. Need to put that into a pie chart, like showing the proportions etc. What I've been doing is highlighting the ethnic group data, and making a pie chart from that. but it does not work? This is why I have reverted to putting it into fraction form (Chinese = 6/15 where 15 is the total number of data I have, and 6 is the number of sample that are Chinese), and hoping it works, but the autocorrecting is stopping me from doing this.

cheers,
caffy

Davesdad
22-04-2004, 11:54 AM
>
> On another thought - How do I make a pie chart? I
> have data of ethnicity, like Chinese, Korean, NZer,
> Tongan etc. Need to put that into a pie chart, like
> showing the proportions etc. What I've been doing is
> highlighting the ethnic group data, and making a pie
> chart from that. but it does not work? This is why I
> have reverted to putting it into fraction form
> (Chinese = 6/15 where 15 is the total number of data
> I have, and 6 is the number of sample that are
> Chinese), and hoping it works, but the autocorrecting
> is stopping me from doing this.

Hi Caffy

I' m a rusty with charts but to start with you need to use whole numbers not fractions (Chinese = 6). To make a chart, highlight the data you want in the chart and click on the chart icon on the standard toolbar, select pie chart and follow the wizard from there.

If i have got this wrong I am sure someone will correct me

Davesdad

Barnabas
22-04-2004, 11:56 AM
You need to change the format of the cells you are working in. Right click the cell and choose format cells, choose fraction. Note you will have to write them in the format 1/15, 1-15 wont work.
You can select all of the cells at the same time then you only have to do this once.
Hope it helps
B.

caffy
22-04-2004, 12:36 PM
Thanks Barnabas, that solved the problem :)