PDA

View Full Version : Mov to Mpeg or Avi

Gods-Hitman
22-04-2004, 01:21 AM
Hey,
I just downloaded the half life demo movie (the 600MB one) and its in mov and I dont have QuickTime nor do I what to install it (hate it) so is there any software that can convert mov to mpeg or avi?

Thank You
*becasue I just don't what to install that evil piece of code*

metla
22-04-2004, 01:24 AM
You can get converters but the quality will be so bad as to be a waste of time,video game footage suffers badly when compressed then encodded into a different form of compression.

Your best bet is to grab quicktime alternative,which is just a copy of an early release ms media player with the ability to use the quicktime codec.

Gods-Hitman
22-04-2004, 11:34 AM
Thanks, it works great

Greg S
22-04-2004, 11:48 AM
Don't like to contradict ya Metla, but I've seen a DVD movie converted to avi and I struggled to tell the difference, the quality was really good. Unfortunately I dunno what programme was used (tho I can find out if anyone's interested)

metla
22-04-2004, 11:56 AM
You didn't contradict me,i refered to video game footage being converted,it pixilates horribly and gets blury and undefined.I converted that halflife file myself at one time.

A dvd movie converted to AVI should indeed give excellent results,mistakes would have to be made in order to get a poor end result.

tweak\'e
22-04-2004, 11:56 AM
who said anything about a DVD movie ????? ?:|

the trouble with quicktime is its hard to find good FREE converters for it. it can be done (its been discussed here before, go search for the thread) but just be aware you can get a drop in quaility which is fairly normal when going from one (highly compressed) codec to another.