PDA

View Full Version : For those that are into C++

mikebartnz
21-04-2004, 11:43 PM
go here (http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=6761)

DangerousDave
22-04-2004, 02:31 AM
From experience, i know that programmers are lazy people... i think there will be a lot of trouble converting people from C++ to D unless there are some very good extra features, but looking at it, it just appears to be a hack of C++, becoming more like Java.

I don't think it'll happen for a while if ever, i know i could'nt be bothered moving to another language, the benefits just arn't worth it.

- David

mikebartnz
23-04-2004, 08:36 AM
I'm not a C++ programmer but thought D would be a step in the right direction especialy as it has garbage collection.

PoWa
23-04-2004, 01:05 PM
MMm Interesting. I'm learning C++ at the moment and I learned Java last year, so is 'D' finished and ready? Or are they still developing it.

mikebartnz
23-04-2004, 07:02 PM
If you go to the site I think you will find it is at 0.8 and runs on both Windows and Linux.

Noel Nosivad
23-04-2004, 09:57 PM
Sounds interesting, I like the idea of doing away with C preprocessor.

I think C++ is in need of renovation, it's like over 20 years old now and there's thousands of functions that have been left over by C that are for history museums.

Looks like I have to get use to using

import std.c.stdio
as to
#include <stdio.h>

But I'm sure that's not a big deal. Just learning new habits and dropping the old.

There's a few things that I'm not totally sure is a good thing, it seems it could pose a few security issues, but will have to test it out first. Looks like I'll be joining the D Community Discussion Groups.

Noel Nosivad

bmason
23-04-2004, 10:03 PM
I don't think it is going to gain much popularity. All of the improvements mentioned are already available in existing, mature languages. They are 15 years too late.

- Both Java and C# are already aimed at C++ developers (BTW, the linked article is incorrect, C# does allow for manual memory management, although I see no real need for it).

- For low level programming coders will just stick with C. If they really need OO and GC, then existing options include: GCJ, Smalltalk, eiffel, etc.

- For improved syntax clarity, both java & C# are improvements. And with only a slightly harder learning curve, why not go with a language that doesn't try to look like C. (Smalltalk has the nicest syntax of any language I've seen).