PDA

View Full Version : Slow to start/boot disk failure

Carol T
21-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Lately my computer has been taking much longer to boot up from turned off. I get the "ig-ig-ig-kick"," ig-ig-ig-kick", clicks like always, but a longer time now at first stage( before Win 98 screen pops up and then it finds that and opens it...slower there too). A couple of times when (I logged on lately the first thing to open was a black page with white writing, and at the bottom the ominous words "boot disk failure" All I did was hit "Control-Alt-Delete" (my version of crossing my fingers) and voila! it continued to load. But my question is....obviously I have to fix this. Reading about creating a boot/startup disk using the Add/Remove programs Startup Disk tab-Create Disk option...does this create a disk I can use to fix the problem, or is that just going to help me if I can;t get Windows to load one day? (I check for viruses/spyware etc daily so I know it is not that).

Fire-and-Ice
21-04-2004, 11:38 PM
How old is the hard drive/computer?

Carol T
21-04-2004, 11:53 PM
Is four years old next month. I got a new motherboard September 2002 when the starter motor burnt out and lots of components got fried (bloody Macrocom) but fortunately not the hard drive.

Pheonix
21-04-2004, 11:54 PM
To answer your question, the bootdisk has a basic program on it which enables it to let the computer startup off the floppy , rather than the Hard disk inside. There is a limited amount you can do, but an important one is that you can use the CD drive.
It is not a repair tool itself, only to get the computer going basiclly so you can use other programs. Pays to have one though.
I would seriously look at backing up any info you want off your hard drive now. It sounds like it could fail, and if it does, then you have a real high chance of losing it all. Meaning that you cant read any of it off the drive.

Carol T
22-04-2004, 12:15 AM
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

*scrambles off to do some serious backing up*

Thank you for taking the times to reply, folks!*S*

Carol T
22-04-2004, 10:37 PM
Okayyyyyy...I have done a scandisk and only two glitches..one to do with C:\Windows\System\CPGWIX.DLL and one in an empty sector.
I have 19,991,104 total disk space, only 409,600 bytes worth of bad sector and 18,102,880kb available disk. (I run it very lean - I don't download very much at all). So hopefully it is not the disk itself. Only thing different lately is that i used the Repair option in Add/Remove for IE to get things going better and i now have two blue e's in my bottom bar - and if i mouseover them one says Shortcut to Internet Explorer and the other says Launch Internet Explorer Browser.
And yes, I have backed up everything and have found my boot disk and put it handy.

Pheonix
22-04-2004, 11:43 PM
If after you restart your PC and both "e" 's are still there, then right click delete the shortcut one.

Nice to hear that you are safe at the moment. As you have tried a scandisk, why not give it a defragment as well. Then see if you still get the clanking on startup.