PDA

View Full Version : Best accounting application?

Scattershot06
20-04-2004, 11:17 PM
Hi,

I'm currently using Microsoft Excel to do the book-keeping, but Iv'e noticed that the files are pretty big. Are there any other and/or better applications out there to do accounting maintanance?

Thanks

godfather
20-04-2004, 11:24 PM
For what?

Home expenses?
Small business?
Large business?
Small country?

I run this business's finances with MYOB, its quite simple and low cost.

tbacon_nz
21-04-2004, 12:03 AM
I've used Quicken for years. There is also Quickbooks which is more directly small business-oriented, rather than personal finance. I've used Quicken to run the accounts for my home and consultancy business. Its main weakness (for me) is lack of a useful interface to other applications. What it has is pretty useless in that regard.

mikebartnz
21-04-2004, 01:05 AM
I would have to say Quickbooks even though I had an issue with them. I am sure they are actually in bed with MS. To be honest a well set out spread sheet will do all any program will do.

robo
21-04-2004, 08:19 AM
Quickbooks or MYOB are fine. Excel is no good if someone other than the person that designed it and knows what they are doing tries to enter anything.
Also, you don't get any real reporting out of Excel and sometimes that can be of use.
Low end versions of both are pretty cheap.
robo.

Murray P
21-04-2004, 09:31 AM
Why don't you check out the accounting, trial, software on the PC World cover CD.

I've used Quickbooks and found it ok. While checking out upgrades for my package I have read of some unsavoury practices re activation/tracking files installed along with the main application. Do a google on it to get current info as I never went ahead with the upgrade.

Cheers Murray P

Sb0h
21-04-2004, 10:44 AM
I use MYOB for my business and find it very easy to use and it gives good reports. You can export any report into Excel and play with the data there if you need to. It is also a reasonable price compared to other accounting packages with similar functionality.

tbacon_nz
21-04-2004, 11:21 AM
I don't have any direct evidence, but I have heard that the support for MYOB can be a bit iffy, and also can be very expensive. As I said, only hearsay, but worth checking up on.

mejobloggs
21-04-2004, 12:34 PM
MYOB can not do negative stock or something. Only reason my Dad did not get it.

Sb0h
21-04-2004, 01:23 PM
MYOB is fine for basic accounting, especially for service based businesses or businesses not tracking extensive stock items. As for their expensive support program, I never bothered with it. My personal view is that I've paid for the software and as long as it does the job I bought it for I don't need to upgrade it and I don't need the expensive maintenance contract. If the time ever comes that I need more from the package then I'll upgrade and pay for it.

If you need more detail or you need more functionality then you may be forking out big bicckies for a modular package such as Prophet, which is multi user and very expensive.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
21-04-2004, 01:45 PM
I just received a Test Drive CD mailed to me from MYOB. Wow! I am suprised, their limit are like 300 transactions. Not trial period (e.g. 30 days) what-so-ever. I probably don't even make that much transaction in a year. Looks like I've scored a copy ;-)

Available here (http://classic.myob.co.nz/Products/testdrive/TD_RequestForm.htm)

robo
21-04-2004, 02:17 PM
It all depends on scale. MYOB and Quickbooks lack a number of features that you get in more expensive systems, but also means you have a chance of setting it up yourself (if you are careful).

People charge $80-$150 to support programs like Prophet, Accpac, Exonet, and Greentree. They are way more complex to use. MYOB charge on an 0900 number because they would collapse if it were free.
Very small businesses need minimal help, and larger businesses can justify cost of help due to cost of system going wrong.
(I've worked in this area for like 14 years, and have written a book on accounting software, so I know more than a little about what I am talking about).

MYOB and Quickbooks are awesome for small business where it is an owner operator and they or their spouse does the accounts at night or on a weekend. Larger than that, you are starting to get square peg into round hole.

robo.

metla
21-04-2004, 02:29 PM
Hey Robo,just one question,How do i convince my spouse that shes the one that should be doing my books?

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
21-04-2004, 02:34 PM
> Hey Robo,just one question,How do i convince my
> spouse that shes the one that should be doing my
> books?

Didn't "they" say ladies were the leaders of this century. How well they could multitask and do task better than the men. Obviously, only people "skilled" at what they're doing should be doing the jobs ;-)

robo
21-04-2004, 03:10 PM
I am a qualified accountant, and yet my wife pays the bills at home. Why? Not sure, probably because I would be useless at it. I can't be bothered with piddling small change.
Can't suggest a winning strategy for you, sorry.
robo.

olldaddy76
21-04-2004, 03:23 PM
I use Quicken Personnel for reconciling with the Bank Statement and you only have to agree with the statement or you are on the wrong track.....I understand worldwide QUICKEN is most acceptable.....

Winston001
22-04-2004, 12:41 AM
I have been using Cashmanager 9 for a sports club. It was recommended by an accountant. I haven't used it enough to find any shortcomings yet. However does anyone know whether it is as good as MYOB or Quicken? Or are these types of software all much alike?

Cheers
Winston001

Pibs
22-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Have a look at Casbook Complete, it's a free download and for small applications it seems very good, it's trouble free AND online backup, it certainly is worth investigating and it may suit your needs. Look on acclaim software.com
Pibs

robo
22-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Hell, I used a shareware GL program for part of the Fletcher Challenge group back in about 1988. It had a limit of $999,999 per transaction and I had to post large transactions with several lines to get around it. When the database went "phut" I had to restore and keep going, beyond that it did the job perfectly well. But then again, I was careful and knew what to do.
The key with good low end accounting software is how forgiving it is for those that don't know what they are doing. That's why I like MYOB and Quickbooks.
The other thing is, would you trust your financial security to something that cost US$10?
robo.

Pibs
22-04-2004, 03:00 PM
Point noted Robo, mine was a free download not even $10! I was understanding that it was a small account, hence the reply.
Pibs

mikebartnz
23-04-2004, 08:41 AM
>The other thing is, would you trust your financial security to something that cost US$10?
That is exactly why Linux has taken so long to be accepted. I'm sorry but cost doesn't mean stuff all now.

Tinakarori
27-05-2004, 12:25 PM
Robo

Is your book on accounting software still available? If so, what is the full citation, and where could I locate/buy a copy?

I am also an accountant, mainly working in the Central Government area, but also have a long-time involvement in SME and non-profit sector accounting. Despite keeping an eye out for every possible package on offer, and reviewing/trying many, I still don't consider I have ever found a small(ish) accounting package that even comes close to meeting most of my criteria.