PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft word 2000

steamfan
20-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Word 2000 has been working fine but suddenly when I double click to open a document word opens but the document doesn't open. I can open it by clicking through file open and selecting the document to open. Any ideas?

Oxie
20-04-2004, 06:46 PM
steamfan

I am not sure what the problem is, but others may have encountered it. I would first try doing a repair of Word/Office under Add/Remove Programs.

I would then try renaming your normal.dot file to normalold.dot. However, by doing this you will lose your custom settings. You can always delete the new normal.dot which will be created and change your normalold.dot file back to normal.dot should no improvement be shown.

Oxie (Lyn)

parry
20-04-2004, 09:15 PM
Hi, to me it sounds as though your file association for DOC has been amended for some reason. Select Folder options in the control panel (or via the Tools menu in My Computer) and select the File Types tab. Scroll down until you see DOC then click the Advanced button.

You will see a list of actions of which one is called Open (& this should be bolded representing the default action). Select Open then click the Edit button. Under 'Application used to perform action' will be the path to the Winword.exe file. I cant remember whether 2K uses DDE but after this path try putting a space then "%1" after the path & see if this fixes the problem.

eg:- "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE" "%1"

Perhaps someone who has Word2K can look in their file association for DOC and advise what they have for this box and any DDE settings if applicable.

hth

Oxie
20-04-2004, 09:48 PM
parry

Initially I thought as you did about the file associations being wrong, but steamfan said when he double clicked the file the application opened which leads me to believe it is associated correctly.

Oxie (Lyn)

steamfan
20-04-2004, 10:02 PM
Thank you for the suggestions however neither of them seem to work. I have to admit it is a real head scratcher. If I select a file then right click shift and go to Open with and click on Other then go to programme files office and select winword and then click open it will open the document with no trouble.
However, if I select the Winword in the open with dialogue box it wont open the document.
Really got me baffled.

parry
20-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Hi Oxie, I still think its the file association. The Winword.exe is still in the path so Word will open, but because it doesnt have %1 (or DDE settings) then it doesnt load the document clicked.

Just in case you need DDE my settings for WordXP are as follows. Perhaps Word2K has the same but not sure.

'Application used to perform action' :
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE" /n /dde

DDE box: checked
DDE Message: [REM _DDE_Direct][FileOpen("%1")]
Application: WinWord
DDE Application Not Running: blank
Topic: System

cheers :-)

Oxie
20-04-2004, 10:07 PM
You wouldn't by any chance have two versions of Word installed, ie trying to open a higher version document in an older version of Word which has a different path than another version of Word? I hope that makes sense.

Oxie (Lyn)

Oxie
20-04-2004, 10:36 PM
I have Office 2000 and checked the settings as parry described. They are all as mentioned except there is no '/dde' after '/n'.

Hope this helps.

Oxie (Lyn)

Elephant
20-04-2004, 10:48 PM
Sorry I got into this thread late. I would suggest you find all instances of normal.dot on your computer and delete them.

When you restart Word this will make a new normal.dot file for you.

It appears to me that the file association may well be correct.

This being based on the other info in this thread.

I have to say this as someone may well ask.

steamfan
21-04-2004, 09:08 AM
Hi Parry
I checked and the file association does have the "%1" at the end.
Regards
Steamfan

parry
21-04-2004, 11:05 AM
Hi again, remove the %1 and have the DDE settings instead but without /dde as Oxie mentioned. Not sure what more to suggest that hasnt already been said. Perhaps a repair installation? Insert the Office CD and select the repair option.

hth