PDA

View Full Version : Can't delete folder

Eric Miller
20-04-2004, 02:17 PM
I have just had a PC Box upgrade from W98SE on a 20Gb HDD formatted with FAT32 to W2K with a new 60Gb HDD formatted with NTFS, and had my old drive with all original data on it installed as a back up drive and to make moving my files over to the new drive easy.
After installing all my software and hardware it was time to move my files.

All files transferred to My Documents without a hitch except for one which created an identical named folder but with no files in it. The required files did transfer in the other folder of the same name.
I attempted to delete the Ghost Folder but could not.

Right clicking the folder and selecting Properties showed a Folder with 14 sub folders named “Copy of folder name” All folders had 0 bytes, 0 size on disk, and 0 files.
I tried to send the main folder to the recycle bin but the error message “The folder contains items whose name is too long for the Recycle Bin. Do you want to permanently delete it?” I clicked Yes then got another error message “Cannot delete “Folder Name”. Cannot find the specified file. Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.”

I got the same message when trying to delete the folder will in Explorer.

I tried to delete by choosing “Shift/Delete” and got the error message “System Error 1148”
I ran the Disk Check and also selected Automatically fix file system errors. There were no reports of any problems.

As the first message suggested the “folder contain items whose name is too long for the Recycle Bin” I tried renaming the folders 1,2,3,4 etc but this made the problem worse. The folder now contains 37Folders with 0 files, 0 bytes, and taking up 0 size on disk.

Apart from this my new system is running well. Please help me to banish this pesky folder.

Ashley Matthews
20-04-2004, 02:50 PM
I'm really not sure what could be causing your problem but have you tried deleting it from a prompt.... i.e the XP recovery console... That way you could avoid all the conflicts that come with windows.

Ash

Sb0h
20-04-2004, 02:52 PM
You should check the permissions on the folder by selecting properties and then the security tab. You may find the folder is "read only" take the tick out of the check box and apply the new settings to all folders and subfolders.

If that doesn't work you may need to use the command line and remove the permissions manually.

Dean
01-07-2005, 05:39 AM
Windows gets a little grumpy if the filename (which encludes the preceeding directories) get's over a certian length. I beleive the length is 255-260 or around there. You can trick windows into thinking that the lenth is shorter by following this method. Drill down about half way into the directory structure that contains the file you have having problems with. Then share that directory. Next, access that shared directory using its UNC path. Then browse to the file you have having issues with and attempt a delete.

In summary, we are shortening the file name length by skipping over a bunch of preceeding directories. This will trick Windows and provide a chance at deleting the file that is over length. Good Luck.

This method worked for me after failed attempts at; chkdsk, resetting permissions, taking ownership, safemode, commandline methods, etc...

Greg
01-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Hey Dean. That makes good sense and would be worth a try. The thread is over a year old, but that could be a handy tip.

Vince
01-07-2005, 06:09 PM
I find that deleting the sub folders/files first usualy solves the problem. Start at the bottom and work your way up. :)

andryn
28-08-2005, 10:41 PM
Hi all,

Eric - did you find a solution that works?

I have a friend with the same problem, tho this time in XP.
We tried deleting from the bottom, but only got 'Access Denied'.
Haven't yet told him to try the ideas listed here, so I will do that a.s.a.p.

Just wondered what the final outcome was of the problem?

mark c
28-08-2005, 11:38 PM
I know it's a "length of file name", rather than "file in use'" issue but I'd still try deleting it in safe mode.

SurferJoe46
29-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Windows gets a little grumpy if the filename (which encludes the preceeding directories) get's over a certian length. I beleive the length is 255-260 or around there. You can trick windows into thinking that the lenth is shorter by following this method. Drill down about half way into the directory structure that contains the file you have having problems with. Then share that directory. Next, access that shared directory using its UNC path. Then browse to the file you have having issues with and attempt a delete.

In summary, we are shortening the file name length by skipping over a bunch of preceeding directories. This will trick Windows and provide a chance at deleting the file that is over length. Good Luck.

This method worked for me after failed attempts at; chkdsk, resetting permissions, taking ownership, safemode, commandline methods, etc...

I saw your post and I hit this problem a few times too myself. Deleting files where the access is denied made me angry sometimes. I would try to delete from the bottom up, in Safe mode, with Spybpt's deleter and shredder, and I hit this link once too...it's kinda scarey that there is now malware that is designed to access this shortfall of both any/all security sites but also Windows general rulle-of-thumb concerninf filename lengths.

Here's an article that might help too. (http://msn.com.com/2100-1009_22-5843863.html?part=msn&subj=ns_2543&tag=mymsn)

Konka
26-03-2008, 04:34 AM
I faced with the same problem. I found a tool which can help you. There is no need to rename files or perform any other actions, it just allows to work with files keeping their real long paths, thats all.

The easiest way is to use some libraries that supports long paths like http://www.abtollc.com/products.aspx

Driftwood
26-03-2008, 05:25 AM
Spam