PDA

View Full Version : Jetstream Firewall

Richard
20-04-2004, 11:44 AM
Now that I have switched to a ADSL Jetstream connection, I remember that as an 'always on' Internet connection this is probably more vulnerable to hacking, and other unwelcome attention. While I have activated the firewall contained in the Network Connections properties I am unsure whether this gives enough protection. Should I look for better firewall, or have I done sufficient?

Cheers
Richard

godfather
20-04-2004, 11:53 AM
How do you connect?

If you use an external ethernet connected router, that has NAT enabled then you have an effective inward only hardware firewall.

If you use USB or internal PCI then your system is very exposed.

The inbuilt firewall is for inward protection only and will not stop any malware using your system to broadcast from.

For that you need a better firewall, such as Kerio, Sygate or Zone Alarm.

Richard
20-04-2004, 12:11 PM
Thanks Godfather. I connect through a basic Dynalink ADSL PCI internal modem so it appears that I have insufficient protection. Which of the firewall programs you mention is preferred, bearing in mind that I have tried the (free) Zone Alarm with my previous connection. I removed this after becoming annoyed with the constant messages, and a feeling that it interfered with other programs. I would like something that just works quietly in the background, doing its business, which is preventing access to my computer unless instigated by me.

Cheers
Richard

godfather
20-04-2004, 12:25 PM
Its entirely personal preference regarding firewalls, they should all be able to be set to not annoy you.

My preference is Kerio. After the initial "training" period when its asks if you want to allow or create a rule, I hear nothing from it.

Thsi would be also due to having a NAT router, as it does not see any incoming stuff, which is always silently blocked by the router.

Pity you went the PCI way, as the router has a lot of advantages for the small extra cost.

Check your security at
http://www.grc.com/default.htm

Select ShieldsUP

Richard
20-04-2004, 12:46 PM
An interesting site Godfather! I will go back to it later for further investigation. Surprisingly it gave me an excellent report, showing all ports in full stealth mode, indicating that to all intents and purposes my computer did not exist! Mind you I have felt this way myself sometimes when waiting for service in a shop.

I will look further into Kerio, as a line of defence. Shame I didn't know about the router option, but the modem was the only suggestion when I approached my ISP.

Cheers
Richard