PDA

View Full Version : Apacer USB2.0 Embedded Card Reader

richrdh
19-04-2004, 11:00 PM
Hi there,

I have recently purchased an Apacer USB2 Embedded Card Reader. The installation requires me to connect it to the motherboard USB pins, which I do. After trying all the drivers and different pin positions I come up with nothing working. Under device manager I get to see the device but it has the yellow exclamation mark on it, so I try reinstalling the drivers, no luck. I try the drivers from the Apacer.com site, no luck. I am running Win98SE on a P3 450, GT440ZX mobo. The motherboard USB posts indicate that it is USB1 only. My question is, can I install this USB2 device onto this type of mobo? Any help, appreciated.

godfather
19-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Apacer made 2 versions, 1.1 and 2.0. Never seen the 1.1 for sale here though.

They made no mention on their support site of any backward compatability for the 2.0 version, the inference being perhaps that it is not?

Win98 was not that good on USB as well, which could explain the issues.

I use one of the devices under XP USB 2.0 and it works very well.

richrdh
20-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I have done some research into how to connect Front USB devices onto motherboards, also got a response from Apacer that kind of said that the motherboard doesn't have the required front usb pin out that the device requires. From my research, the pin out looks to be the normal standard.

What I am trying to find out is whether any USB2 device is backward compatable to USB1.0? As far as connecting it to the motherboard.

Device manager picks up this device, but will not accept any driver.

The rear USB ports are working fine under Win98SE.

Just another nagging problem....

Graham L
20-04-2004, 02:25 PM
I have an idea that the "standard" motherboard pinout might have been "improved" or "interpreted" by some manufacturers. There are only 4 pins used, and they tend to use connectors with rows of 5. Lots of scope. It happened with the irDA ones.:D