PDA

View Full Version : bios update (p4c800)

chinadoll
19-04-2004, 10:58 PM
I have an asus p4c800 deluxe mother board and the bios version is 1010. I am missed out on 4 bios updates which are (1011, 1014, 1015, 1016). Should I update from 1011 through to 1016, or can I update straight from 1016?

When I went to update for 1016, it said that update was succesful but when I checked the bios version, it still remained the same with the exact same date.

Is anyone able to help me?

godfather
19-04-2004, 11:28 PM
BIOS updates are not like Windows Updates.

Only apply them if there is a problem identified with your system that requires the update.

If an update goes wrong (and believe me, they do) then your entire motherboard can be rendered permanently useless.

Oherwise there is no need to apply them sequentially. You should apply the one that specifically fixes the problem that you have with hardware or software, as identified by the motherboard maker. Usually the latest one.

chinadoll
20-04-2004, 09:48 AM
Thank you Godfather,

My cpu seem running little hotter than normal ( from 24-42 degrees) and

also it give 3 Bios beeps when the computer power up.(in my Subs motherboard PC Deluxe user guide said 2 beeps Parity Error, 3 beeps Main Memory Read/Write Test error)

So I though Bios update may will fix the problem.

Thanks again.

godfather
20-04-2004, 10:56 AM
There is no way a BIOS update could affect the temperature of the CPU.

And you need to run a Memory Test program (http://www.memtest86.com/) to test the memory. Its unlikely to be fixable with a BIOS upgrade unless some mention is made in the release notes.

Before you even think about flashing the BIOS, read the release notes for the BIOS upgrade. If they address real problems that you have, then try it. If not, there is simply no need to do it.

If its not broken, don't fix it.
Or, keep fixing it until it is broken.
2 choices...

godfather
20-04-2004, 11:06 AM
Here are all the release notes.
[i]

v1014
Do not use old version Afudos.exe to flash BIOS.Must use new Afudos.exe which is included in zip file to flash BIOS.
1.Using ASUSLiveUpdate to flash BIOS,you need to upgrade ASUSLiveupdate before flash BIOS.
2.Please do not use Ezflash for updating this BIOS.
3.Fix extended F8 Menu that cannot show all devices,if you used more than one removables HDD, and cdrom and BEV(Bootstrap Entry Vector) devices.
4.Revise extended memory size(16K--->64K)
5.Revise Ultra DMA Mode max limit(ultra DMA mode 6--->5)
6.Mute beep sound for USB device plug-in/plug-out
7.Support new CPUs.
8.Fix the system hangs after clear CMOS

v1011
1.Fix PS/2 keyboard and PS/2 mouse cannot wake up the system from Suspend-to-RAM (S3) and Hibernate(S4).
2.Fix the system cannot boot to Windows 2000 after 3DLabs Wildcat VP760 XGA card driver (v3.01.0181) is installed.
3.Fix the system hangs in POST (POST Code:D1) after flashing a BIOS by EZ Flash if FSB800 CPU
is used.
4.Update Promise RAID boot ROM (1.00.0.37).

v1010
Do not use Aflash.exe to update BIOSPlease use EZflash or Afusos.exe.
1.Support AMI NVRAM Manager.
2.Change DMI Base Board Information from "ASUSTek Computer Inc." to "ASUSTeK Computer Inc."

V1008
Do not use Aflash.exe to update BIOS
Please update to V1007 first,then update to v1008.
update BIOS to V1008,please use EZFlash or Afudos.exe.
1.Fix Maxtor 6Y120M0 YAR51BW0 Serial-ATA hard disk drive cannot be detected problem.

V1007
Do not use Aflash.exe / EZflash /Afudos.exe to update BIOSV1007
Extract all the files into the floppy disk,and simply run P4CB1007.exe under DOS mode,the BIOS update will execute automatically.Please refer to the readme file which is included in the zipfile to get the details of BIOS update procedure.
1.Rename "Quiet Boot" item to "Full Screen Logo"
2.Revise DMI System Slots information for AGP slot.
3.Revise DMI Memory Controller and Port Connector information.
4.Support Intel OSB.
5.Support CPU FSB frequency 301 - 400 MHz
6.Fix 256-color logo cannot be shown correctly
7.Add "Performance Mode" item
8.Fix the system spends a lot of time booting when the non-bootable CD-R inserted into the IDE CD-ROM drive.
9.Support power up the system by pressing specific key of the PS/2 keyboard.
10.Remove the redundant blank line in option pop-up window of "Restore on AC Power Loss" setup item.
11.Fix "RTC Alarm Date" setup item will be hidden if "Every Day" is selected

V1006
Do not use Aflash.exe / EZflash /Afudos.exe to update BIOSV1006
Extract all the files into the floppy disk,and simply run P4CB1006.exe under DOS mode,the BIOS update will execute automatically.Please refer to the readme file which is included in the zipfile to get the details of BIOS update procedure.
1.Fixed the system can not boot when setting CPU FSB to be 166~199 MHz.
2.Fixed EZ flash fails if some VGA cards are used.(ATI 9700 pro,ASUS X4000, 3DLabs Wildcat II 5110...)
3.Fixed Win2000 server becomes unstable if ATI 9700 Pro VGA card is used
4.Fixed the FSB frequencies of Willamette CPUs are detected as 133MHz.
5.Add "CPU VCore Voltage" setup option to 1.9500V.

V.1004
1.First released version.

chinadoll
20-04-2004, 03:24 PM
Hi Godfather.

It sounds very technical to determine the fault which part cause the beeps ( some time 2 beeps but other 3 beeps). I think it is out of my reach of knowledge.

Apart those beeps when it power up, the computer work fine. I wonder If I don't find what is wrong with which part of the hardware it may cause feather damage to the computer?

Should I leave the Bios beeps alone or should I do some more search ?

Thank you.

ugh1
20-04-2004, 03:36 PM
After doing the BIOS update did you reset to default settings in the BIOS?

i.e. Load optimized settings

Also it pays, if your BIOS has the option, to reset the PNP data.

If the beeps where present before the BIOS update then it is likely you have faulty RAM and the sonner you look into it the better!

chinadoll
21-04-2004, 12:34 AM
Hi Ugh 1

No, I didn't reset the Bios to default setting.

All the setting as normal after Bios update so I just leave it as it is.

The next step I think I will have the Rams check it out.

Thank you for the info.