PDA

View Full Version : Student requiring advice on athol 64

[DVS] RO
19-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Hi there, My athlon 1700+ has just become inoperable and im in need of purchasing some new componentary.
I plan to be studying 3d (3dsmax6 + Maya) for the next two years so i'll need a setup that will last the distance and also be fast at rendering. Im set on purchasing an athlon 64 and have a price range of 2000-2400 NZD for the mobo cpu and ram. Can you give me some advice as to the best quality gear i can get for my money as this is all my savings and i'll be a poor student after this purchase
Thanks

Growly
19-04-2004, 05:49 PM
If you want the cheapest places to buy each product, check here: http://www.pricespy.co.nz

Pete O\'Neil
19-04-2004, 06:30 PM
can you wait for a lil longer? AMD are about 1month away from releasing a new Socket, this will make current AMD64 chips obsolete. The new socket 939 will combine both the Athlon64 and AthlonFX into one socket. The Athlon64 will have 512kb lvl2 cache whereas the AthlonFX will have 1mb of lvl2 cache. Both chips will use Dual Channel DDR and should have the same FSB. Another good reason to wait is that nVidia have just released the nForce 3 250, will will finally bring native 1Gbit ethernet to the AMD platfrom, aswell as native SATA and a builtin firewall. It should start showing up on store shelves very soon. It will also have improved onboard sound, not as good as the nForce 2's soundstorm thou.

[DVS] RO
19-04-2004, 07:50 PM
Which motherboards will feature the Nforce3 250 and be the most reliable make?.
Also have AMD set a date for the release of these new athlon 64 cpu's?. I have a few mates in America and Taiwan, would it be cheaper to purchase this componentary in either of those countrys as apposed to Newzealand?.

cheers for all your help :)

[DVS] RO
20-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Does anyone know which country AMD has its compentary made in>?
Also wot major good quality brands are made in Taiwan, I believe the Nforce 3 are made there but im not 100% sure.

:)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
20-04-2004, 01:54 PM
Lot of computer componentry are now designed in Taiwan, made in China due to the fact that cost of production are heavily reduced. I remember reading that the salary of one person in Taiwan can employ close to 10 people in China. But there are exceptions, usually more top of the line components won't be made in China. However, China is making progress quiet rapidly...

[DVS] RO
20-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Interesting :o
What are the brands of mobos being manufactured in Taiwan?
I'll be doing alot of rendering in both max6 and maya so ill need a reliable system, I was thinking a AMD 64 3400+ 939 socket and one of em new nforce3 chipset on a asus mobo. Would that be a solid rendering system for the next 2 years?

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
20-04-2004, 05:53 PM
As I said... I am not sure whether motherboards are made in China or Taiwan. This is due to the fact that no matter what manufacture it is, whether it be Asus or Gigabyte,etc. they will have some production done in China and Taiwan, even for the exact same model sometimes. If you actually want to specify to buy Taiwan made, the only thing you can really do is look at the labels on the box. But for a decent motherboard, generally Asus is the overall leader, (or Gigabyte if your looking Intel). I know my comments may be biased due to the fact that I also perfer Taiwan made, however, saying that, I do not think it matters at all that much due to the fact that a lot of drawing board (planning) work is done in Taiwan anyway. Afterall, the headquarters of most these companies are in Taiwan. But remember, China is being accepted as the global leader of this century.... whether you like it or not.

Whether what you have in mind will last for the next 2 years will be unsure. It should be.... but who knows what kind of software designers are bringing out soon...

You have the honour of accepting my 500th post, while on this, I'd just like to take this chance to thank the PF1 family for everything.

[DVS] RO
21-04-2004, 12:51 AM
What are the pros and cons of waiting to buy a athlon 64 939 pin as apposed to the old school 746pin which has the extra 512 cache memory? Please enlighten me :)

KingWave
21-04-2004, 01:33 AM
Future upgradeability? ;)