PDA

View Full Version : Mailwasher Pro only sees Outlook Express & one user name

Billy T
19-04-2004, 03:58 PM
Hi Team

After very satisfactory results with the free version of Mailwasher, I decided to buy the Pro version to screen all accounts.

I have immediately hit two problems that I can't find an answer to in the help files or the on-line FAQs.

1) When I try to import my several mail accounts, it will only offer to import from Outlook Express. Outlook is my default email client and is set as such in all the relevant places I can find to do that.

2) I was trying to import because it wouldn't accept my family member' alias accounts on Xtra that all have the same user name and password.

They originally ended up that way because I couldn't get Xtra to allow access because it wouldn't recognise any other account user name (logon) or password.

Funnily enough I have a similar number of alias accounts on my Free.net account and they all have different logon names and passwords.

Has anybody else had problems with MW Pro, or run up against the Xtra alias account problem?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :(

FrankS
19-04-2004, 07:01 PM
Presume you are running MailWasher Pro v4 and have read all the fine print under
Help | Contents | Setting up your accounts in MailWasher Pro re need for manual setting up.
Have a look at
http://computercops.biz/postp45712.html
there maybe more items on this site that may help.

Jester
19-04-2004, 08:29 PM
I screen 7 accounts (Orcon x 3, Clear, Freenet, Hotmail x 2) using Mailwasher Free version (an earlier version), and I set up each account individually, rather than importing. Just enter the relevant pop3 and smtp details in it.

As for the aliases, they all would end up in your main mailbox anyway wouldn't they? So there wouldn't be a reason to check that main account for each alias' mail - you would just check it once with the main user's details, wouldn't you?

Forgive me if I misunderstood what you are trying to do

J
:D

Billy T
19-04-2004, 09:40 PM
> As for the aliases, they all would end up in your
> main mailbox anyway wouldn't they? So there wouldn't
> be a reason to check that main account for each
> alias' mail - you would just check it once with the
> main user's details, wouldn't you?

Actually, no Jester.

Each must be entered into the email client individually or the mail for that address is not downloaded. Differentiation between Xtra users appears to be determined by the alias address, not the logon or password.

The same applies to Freenet but those all have individual logons and passwords. I am inclined to think that they are individual addresses actually and not aliases at all on Freenet.

I take it the multi-account functionality was dropped in the later free versions?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Jester
19-04-2004, 10:09 PM
Fair enough mate, I started off on the net with Xtra - in 97, at that time, all our alias addys went to the same login - they must have changed the settings since then :)

A check here (http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,6227-560812,00.html#2) may help with alias settings etc.

As far as Mailwasher goes, the version I use is 2.19b, available here:
http://mailwash.vze.com/ - a short url addy to an Orcon hosted site I have.

I've had that file there for a while if anyone else wants it.

J
:D

Billy T
19-04-2004, 10:39 PM
I'm lost now.?:|

Xtra's info makes it quite clear that all aliases will be downloaded when the principal address is selected. However, I have never actually used the principal address at all, using one alias for business and the other three aliases for family. The family emails don't download unless I set them up individually in Outlook and specifically include them in the requested downloads.

I'll run some tests tomorrow and post results.

Anybody got any ideas on the inability to import from Outlook per my first post?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Jim B
19-04-2004, 10:40 PM
Actually Yes Billy T
You are confusing yourself and everyone else. This topic has come up many times before on this forum

When you have email aliases and you log into your Xtra mailbox you will receive email for your email address plus any alias addresses at the same time. So having email aliases does not split your email apart when you receive it, you get all of it at the same time in your inbox.

Stop fooling around with trying to import mail accounts, just go into mailwasher and add the Xtra server address, main account name and password and thats all you need to do.

An alias address is just that, it is forwarded to your main account, they do not have their own account name or passwords and cannot be accessed seperately.

Most ISP's will give you a real mail address with their own account name and password as part of your plan, Xtra do something different of course.

Jim B
20-04-2004, 09:54 AM
I think where you are getting confused is that if you want to send an email from OE with an alias address showing in the From Field then of course you need all the accounts setup in OE to be able to do this.

You do not need them there to be able to receive from all addresses.

If you look at Properties/Servers for all those addresses in OE they will all have your main Xtra account name and passord there. If you did not have them there you would get an error message when you did a send/receive.

If you only had your main Xtra account setup in OE you would still receive mail from all alias addresses.

In Mailwasher just add your email address, Xtra SMTP and POP3 server, Xtra account name and password and it will receive from all addresses.

I am surprised that someone with 2758 posts is having so much trouble understanding a basic mail setup.

Billy T
21-04-2004, 11:20 AM
It's a time thing Jim, not ability to understand. I experienced some confusing results such as the appearance of Outlook Express as the default mail client instead of Outlook when I tried to import my email accounts to save time. That, plus the apparent ability to download mail to just one of the email aliases by setting it up on its own in Outlook, had me wondering, so to save time I turned to the experts on PF1 for guidance (as we do:D).

The latter issue remains unresolved as yet for want of time to experiment, but I have sorted my other problems simply by doing a manual entry for each account.

Post numbers do not indicate breadth of computing experience, or any other useful and relevant experience unfortunately. For example, I know zilch about Mac OS, NT, XP, Unix or Linux, but I am familiar with Dos, W3.11, W95, W98 and W2K. I know nothing about Drive Image, but have a good knowledge of Ghost.

I also have extensive practical expertise within computing in general, and in other areas such as electrical and electronic technology, Employment and Consumer law, and the Electricity Act plus its associated Regulations and Standards, which pop up here from time to time in both computer related and OT questions.

You can't judge the contents of a book by the number of pages Jim.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Jim B
21-04-2004, 12:15 PM
> The latter issue remains unresolved as yet for want
> of time to experiment, but I have sorted my other
> problems simply by doing a manual entry for each
> account.

Are you sure is an alias address, if you were using the same account name and password as your main Xtra account to access this then it is an alias.
If you were using a different account name and password then it will be a separate email address and you can get one from Xtra at a cost.
>
> Post numbers do not indicate breadth of computing
> experience, or any other useful and relevant
> experience unfortunately.

True enough, it was just a facetious comment which you probably did not need when involved in a frustrating problem.
I have a warped sense of humour they tell me.

Billy T
21-04-2004, 01:30 PM
No worries Jim, my sense of humour is as warped as they come.:D

The Xtra addresses are definitely aliases because they share a common logon and password, and also because Xtra says they are. However, my freenet addresses are all separate because they have individual logons and passwords.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)