PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Parameter

KevinC
19-04-2004, 03:06 PM
After a hard drive failure I am trying to reinstall some mpegs that I have burnt to cd on to a new hard drive. I keep getting a message "Wrong Parameter". What have I done wrong and can I correct this

godfather
19-04-2004, 03:29 PM
That depends just where the message is coming from and more importantly exactly what you are doing to invoke it.

godfather
19-04-2004, 03:36 PM
If you are just using "drag and drop" then you may need to finalise the CD-R that the files are on.

Exactly how did you write them to the CD-R? Multisession?

KevinC
19-04-2004, 08:10 PM
Hi Godfather.
Would you like to contact me via email @ kbc@orcon.net.nz so I can go through what I am doing wrong. I originally burnt the files on to a cd to keep. But I have had three faulty h/d in last 6 weeks and now have my fourth replacement and have lost everything on h/d. I am trying to put the files back on h\d. They are mpegs. Some seem to go back other wont and the message I get is wrong parameter or faulty ms dos function. I am using XP Pro
Thanks for your help

godfather
19-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Any help from me can only be provided here, not by email sorry. Also do not post an email address here unless its a throw-away one, as spammers harvest any email addresses in these and other public forums.

Your error message is strange, "faulty ms dos function" is not a normal error message I would expect.

"Invalid ms dos function" is more an expected error however.

You have to be exact about any error message or possible solutions can be quite wrong.

What you are seeing is not uncommon (assuming "Invalid ms dos" error) and can be related to a poor burn on the CD causing read errors.

On an mpeg file, its quite possible that the video file could be read OK as a video because errors are well tolerated by VCD/DVD reader programs, the video distortion is insignificant.

Windows however just treats it as a data file when you copy it and objects when any error is discovered.

Make sure the CD is clean. A dirty CD can cause it as well.

Another problem that can cause the error is the file and path name being more than 127 characters long.

But - did you burn the CD without finalising it, and if so have you tried to finalise it?