PDA

View Full Version : XP pro slow to logon to network server

Newteach
19-04-2004, 01:50 AM
I connect my late model Toshiba laptop into a school server and it continually takes from 5 to 8 minutes to log on each day. I understand that this is necessary so I can access my profile from other pc's on the network but is there anywhere on my laptop that I can store large documents and files that may speed up this logon process.
Or is there any way to drastically reduce this logon time?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this log.

Andy, (Newteach)

beama
19-04-2004, 09:19 AM
andy
there are many thing that can effect this login procedure ie is the virus checker being updated using the login script , is there any forced application launches using the login script etc.
if using a novell network what version os both network and workstation (laptop) has the novell client been patched etc
The reccomendation I would make is discuss your logon concerns with whoever administers your school network.

Graham L
19-04-2004, 03:45 PM
The laptop might be trying to set up a Microsoft "Network Neighbourhood" containing all the other computers on the network. This process can take some time.:D

Growly
19-04-2004, 06:18 PM
yeah... it does... like when My Network Places searches 24 computers....

Newteach
19-04-2004, 07:20 PM
Thanks for your quick reply's guys. This is a distinct possibility as other laptops that connect also load the same virus updates and software that I do and My laptop takes longer to load.

Is there a way of stopping this setting up of a Microsoft Neighbourhood Network containing all of the other computers?

Newteach.