PDA

View Full Version : External modem recognition by Win XP

pfhughes
18-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Does anyone have a solution to this hassle: Using Win XP Professional and an external 56k modem there are no connection problems IF the modem is powered on before the CPU is powered on. However if the CPU is powered on and THEN the modem is powered up it is not recognised as being present and attempted use generates an error message. It requires either a power re-start of the CPU or logging on as Administrator to do a new hardware scan via Device Manager before the system 'sees' the modem and allows a connection. Annoying!

Any suggestions gratefully received.

godfather
18-04-2004, 11:50 PM
As far as I am aware that is the default action of XP, and I never found a way to change it.

I built a power strip activated by the PC powering up which powered the modem, printer and monitor only when the PC was turned on.

Since then I have moved to a Network, router etc so no longer use dial-up so its not now a problem.

Elephant
19-04-2004, 12:15 AM
I think you have the answer in your own hands here.

Turn power on to the External modem before booting the system.

Try using a power board with the system plugged to that and the external modem plugged to the same power. This may not satisfy you completely as the external modem may well have a power ON/OFF switch.

Why do you think WinXP should recognise hardware which is not connected or powered off at boot time?

LucyL
19-04-2004, 12:43 AM
Elephant you ask "Why do you think WinXP should recognise hardware which is not connected or powered off at boot time?"

Answer: because Win98SE always did and you would expect a later op sys to do the same.

I had the exact same problem as pfhughes - upgraded from Win98 to Xp and unless modem (Dynalink) is powered on at boot the system says modem isn't connected. This was never an issue with Win98, system saw modem whether or not it was powered on at boot.

Lucy

tcomp
24-04-2004, 02:24 PM
I got the same problem. Its a pain. The reason I like to start the PC with the modem turned off is so that I control when the PC connects to the outside world. Stops Dailup programs giving you a large phone bill.

"I AM THE HUMAN AND I WILL RETAIN CONTROL".

personally I think its Bill screwing with us again so he can create the world in his image. Maybe a fix will be forthcoming wait and see