PDA

View Full Version : Can I get music to play mono instead of stereo?

mejobloggs
18-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Hi, using winamp 2.91 or something. Listening to music with headphones, and I want to play all my songs on mono instead of stereo. How can I do this?

Win XP Pro
AC97 with drivers from this year sometime.

StevieRay
18-04-2004, 11:14 PM
Thats different

mejobloggs
18-04-2004, 11:16 PM
meh?

Bazza
18-04-2004, 11:18 PM
It can be done easily, BUT why would you wish to do that.

mejobloggs
18-04-2004, 11:31 PM
Argh! Tell me how to do it first.

It sounds better for my case.

Bazza
18-04-2004, 11:51 PM
ok, mejob..maybe you have a hearing problem. I can think of no other reason for choosing mono from stereo sound.

Audio amplifiers have L & R channels, i.e the channels are separate. If these two are connected together at the input, the result is "mono" sound.

Possibly when using your headphones, connecting the L & R together could produce the same result.

OK, now, tell me why you want to do this ?

bmason
19-04-2004, 12:15 AM
In winamp, goto options -> input plugins. Bring up the options for the mp3 decoder and have a look at the downmix options, there should still be an option for mono output.

It is a left over from when cpus were much slower. Mono decoding uses half the cpu power.

I think there is a similar option for the ogg decoder.

Terry Porritt
19-04-2004, 04:39 PM
Ha ha. ALL my songs from the 1920s are mono :)

mejobloggs
19-04-2004, 09:58 PM
Playing midi files, and mod files too.

I am using headphones, and some of the songs swap left to right a lot, and it kinda hurts my ears, and sound odd so close to my ears.

Can you tell me how to do it in windows media player too thanks?

Is there not anything that just makes any sound output to mono?

mejobloggs
19-04-2004, 10:00 PM
How do I connect L & R together on headphones?

craig_b
20-04-2004, 01:52 PM
I don't know if this can do what you want, as I am unable to fully test it, and as far as I know it only exists in windows XP.

You can go into the sounds and audio devices control panel and click the advanced button under speaker settings. If you change your speaker setup to Laptop Mono speakers, then this *MAY* change your output to mono.

If it does change to mono, it should apply this to all programs that use the microsoft wave mapper as the audio device.

I wouldn't recommend connecting L+R together in the wiring as this can damage some speakers through overloading them, or if they are cheaper and the internal speakers are not matched, they can unequally share the volume level...

Another option is to get a stereo 3.5mm to mono 3.5mm adaptor plug from your local dick smith store, this will send only the L or the R signal to both speakers, then you alter the main balance in the windows volume settings to full left or full right (whichever you hear sound at). This will work for all programs...

Hope something here helps,
Craig.