PDA

View Full Version : Rundll32 Problem

fryup
18-04-2004, 02:03 PM
i run windows xp professional on a p4 2.4ghz, 512 ram system on a assus motherboard. most of the time now ma pc freezes suddenly and i really couldnt find a reason for it, cuz windows doesnt even say it recovered from a serioud error at the start when i reboot, nor are the disks checked for consistency. but what i did notice is that when i close the file rundll32.exe i've seen the processor usage go down heapss like 100% to 35% & the pc rarely then freezes. i tried replacing the file from a mates pc but still the problem remains. also my login time has greatly increased. i clokd the time to resart , & login and to load the desktop items to come like 30s now it takes like a 1.5 - 2.5 mins to do all that.
if reinstalling windows is my last option, i'm still playing need for speed underground will i loose my profile as in do i hav to play the whole game again.

zminos
18-04-2004, 02:10 PM
does it happen on startup,shutdown or just random? does the problem occur in safemode?

you might want to start at a google search page first like:

http://www.google.com/search?q=rundll32.exe+%2B+windows+xp&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

and click on the link that's appropriate to your problem... unless you want to answer the above questions? and supply more info...

:)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
18-04-2004, 02:31 PM
> i'm still
> playing need for speed underground will i loose my
> profile as in do i hav to play the whole game
> e again.

At least you're worried about the important stuff... you should be able to transfer the save game off the machine if that's your biggest priority.

Have you run a virus scanner? An up to date one at that?
Spybot? Adaware?

Probably some good places to start.

fryup
18-04-2004, 09:55 PM
its only happens randomly - like when i just click start , or when i'm surfin the net, it does not occur in safe mode i checked the google search which says in most sites find a file linked to a trojan called bridge.dll / bridlgedll.exe but i hav searched the pc for this file and it is not in msconfig either. as to more info i reckon it could be sort of linkd to ma old monitor (6 years now) which sumtimes looses it's red colour from the graphics. when it freezes in nfsu i get that blue error screen windows pops when u install new hardware and it stuffs up but the pc reeboots so quickly that i cannot see what the screen says. (i'm srry i dont really hav experience in this forum but i hav put up another thread under the same title b4)

fryup
18-04-2004, 09:58 PM
i got NAV 2002 professional updated, i ran a virus scan didnt find anythin, i havent got nay spyware or addware. i use kazaa lite which has no spy/add ware to it

whiskeytangofoxtrot
19-04-2004, 12:24 AM
> i got NAV 2002 professional updated,

I am pretty sure NAV 2002 won't support updating anymore unless you do it manually via the website - NAV has a pretty short support period for updates.

I'd make certain it is updating, if not, obtain another virus scanner.

> scan didnt find anythin, i havent got nay spyware or
> addware.

Just because you use Kazaa Lite doesn't mean you haven't got SpyWare - it can come from a myriad of sources. I would suggest an updated SpyBot/AdAware run.

fryup
19-04-2004, 10:55 PM
i am having a up to date anti virus. i chekd with symantec's virus defifdntion list and the the list in NAV 2002 i got for the latest two viruses and they appear in both and the total no. of viruses are the same. could u suggest a good program to scan and eliminate trojans, addware and stuff ,plz.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
19-04-2004, 11:15 PM
SpyBot

http://www.safer-networking.org

AdAware

http://www.lavasoftusa.com

Dastardly
21-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Hi Fryup

I have had a similar problem with my machine in the past. It caused chaos!! I was using a software modem. It FINALLY gave up the ghost, and I replaced it with a hardware modem, overnight no probs and rock steady ever since.

Suggest YOU try a different modem, also keep your windows updates up-to-date, and regularly check for spyware and addware as another person has suggested.

Cheers :D