PDA

View Full Version : Infranview : Who & Why?

beetle
18-04-2004, 09:40 AM
Ok this has been talked about lots lately.

And squabled about to, but why do people use this?

and who uses it? is it easy to use? as i only have MS paint and the digi cam photo thingy, why would you recomend me to use this?

i am not looking at buying anything software wise for the lemon, at this point.

does it work on existing pictures you have in the system or do you have to save or download into infranview? a new lot.?

the only time i have had to alter something i have used paint or just scanned it again and changed at the scanning stage.
i dont like the digi camera program, way to fussy with gadgets for my likeing.......

im running win XP.

any feed back welcome,

no slanging matches please.

beetle

godfather
18-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Irfanview is a very friendly program to use, and works with all image types you will encounter, including anything from your camera.

For working with photos its way ahead of MS Paint.

Its great for viewing photos in a directory as well. It works like a full screen "slide show".

Jen C
18-04-2004, 10:05 AM
> And squabled about to, but why do people use this?
> and who uses it? is it easy to use? as i only
> have MS paint and the digi cam photo thingy, why
> would you recomend me to use this?

You probably don't need it, if your software that came with the digicam fills your needs for manipulating images. If is great for people who don't have any other graphic program available on their machines. It is certainly not Photoshop, but has the basics that a general image manipulating program does.

> i am not looking at buying anything software wise
> for the lemon, at this point.

It is freeware, no costs involved except the download time.

> does it work on existing pictures you have in the
> system or do you have to save or download into
> infranview? a new lot.?

It works with any image you have on your computer, you simple open up the image with the program, work on it, save the changes and then close the program down. No difference to opening up an image like in MS Paint.

> the only time i have had to alter something i have
> used paint or just scanned it again and changed at
> the scanning stage.
> i dont like the digi camera program, way to fussy
> with gadgets for my likeing.......

Infranview needs to be learnt as well. This all ready depends upon what you want to do with your images. You may find your digicam software is more designed for manipulating and touching up photo's, whereas Infranview is good for general image work.

> no slanging matches please.

Why would you think that would happen ?:|

beama
18-04-2004, 10:15 AM
I also use a plugin image veiwer for pegasus mail as well other image editing functions

beama
18-04-2004, 10:17 AM
I also use it as a plugin image veiwer for pegasus mail as well other image editing functions
sorry for the error

beetle
18-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Jen,

im just feeling World weary at mo, and feel if i dont spell things out just so, that like lately the $%#$ has hit the fan, and ive got caught in the backfire i guess.

so didnt mean to sound grouchy, just assertive, LOL

for the digi cam prog i seem to revert to going straight to my comp and do the drag and drop ideas, by pass the camera software completely. hate it.

so wont use it, unless last resort.

beetle

whetu
18-04-2004, 10:36 AM
I use irfanview for image viewing, resampling (resizing with filters for better results) and cropping, as well as batch processing (usually batch resizes). I think that in these particular requirements it excels

however

as far as broader image manipulation goes, such as using paintbrushes, filters, layering etc it's not strong. And that's fine because that's not what it's designed for.

If you need to do something that irfanview cant, then I'd recommend you look at the GIMP ( http://www.gimp.org/ )

I think the main advantage of irfanview is that it has an insanely light footprint, so it tends to be quick (unless of course you are working with super high res images.. then it slows down, but even photoshop slows down with high res images.) But what's the point of twiddling your thumbs waiting for a full graphics package like photoshop to load up just so you can do some menial change such as a resize/resample that would literally take you 2-3 seconds tops to do in irfanview, which tends to load almost instantly?

like anything irfanview has its strengths and weaknesses, you've just got to list out your needs and see if irfanview can cater to that list in some way.

Susan B
18-04-2004, 10:56 AM
I have Irfanview and love it. It is my default picture viewer because it loads almost instantly and lets me browse my picture/photo folders very easily.

For graphics editing and manipulation I use Paintshop Pro, which is not free. I have not tried using Irfanview for graphics editing although it is very capable of the basic functions. The only reason I don't use Irfanview for this is because I paid for PSP and it therefore makes sense to use it.

As for being easy to use, yes it is but you will get more from it by reading the Help files and learning what it can do and how to use it.

Even if you don't end up using it for anything else, I would highly recommend Irfanview for graphics viewing alone. :-)

Billy T
18-04-2004, 11:11 AM
IMHO, the greatest advantage/feature of Irfanview is that you can view an archive of images very quickly, virtually as fast as you can click the file names. You don't have to close then open or any such drama, just run down the list of files in the selected directory.

Magic:D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

the highlander
18-04-2004, 01:29 PM
Agree with with all the positive points put forward so far about irfan view but nobody has pointed out the extra graphics plugins available free for Irfanview such as Harry's Filters, Filters Unlimited and especially Filter Factory which lets you use all the freeware Photoshop Filters available within the programme.
But that aside Oriens Enhancer (another freeware programme) is an intermediate step between irfan view and paintshop/photoshop type programmes. Its powerful, versatile,stable and has a ton of inbuilt filters and effects and supports layers and multiple undo's.

Greg S
18-04-2004, 02:06 PM
> I think the main advantage of irfanview is that it
> has an insanely light footprint, so it tends to be
> quick

That's the only reason I use it, as my default picture viewer. All image manipulations are done via other apps, but this lil beauty is great coz it's so quick and lean on memory resources

metla
18-04-2004, 02:17 PM
why not just use thumbnail view in folders,and xp's inbuilt piucture viewer for a closer look?

Steve_L
18-04-2004, 02:28 PM
<<the extra graphics plugins available free for Irfanview such as Harry's Filters, Filters Unlimited and especially Filter Factory which lets you use all the freeware Photoshop Filters available within the programme.>>

Highlander, where can we get these free plugins? Is there one web page that has the lot? Thanks - Steve_L

Graham L
18-04-2004, 03:57 PM
Much camera software (and a lot of scanner stuff) seems to have been subjected to "graphic designers" who failed art at kindergarten. It's "user friendly" to the point of inanity, and "intuitive" to the point of being unusable by anyone with a mental age greater than 6 months. :D

Irfanview is clean and usable.

There's your flame, beetle.

StevieRay
18-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Picasa is an excellent alternative also

TonyF
18-04-2004, 05:31 PM
> Highlander, where can we get these free plugins? Is
> there one web page that has the lot? Thanks -
> Steve_L

Don't forget that at http://www.irfanview.com you can download a big batch of plugins.

Susan B
18-04-2004, 06:03 PM
> why not just use thumbnail view in folders,and xp's inbuilt piucture viewer for a closer look?

Don't know about anybody else but I like my folder views to stay on the Details setting. I will enable thumbnail view occasionally but most of the time it just annoys the heck out of me and besides, it is so much quicker to double-click on a pic for Irfanview to pop open and browse through the rest of the folder.

MrBeef
18-04-2004, 06:49 PM
I have a few family photos and etc and I am wondering cause i only have win98 does infranview do slideshows and stuff???

Jen C
18-04-2004, 06:53 PM
Yes it can do a slideshow. Godfather has already mentioned this. I have Infranview loaded onto my Parents Win98 machine just for this purpose.

beetle
18-04-2004, 09:48 PM
When you add a program like this, they generally become default do they not?

is there a key, tick or option somewhere along the line where you can pick which program will open whatever you are working on?

like add it to the file or edit type list ? does this sound odd?

other wise i could see it taking over when all i might want to do is veiw a pic?

just had in the past probs with music players do this or zip file programs.....and have no end of probs sorting out what is default or deleting them or uninstalling them.

am i way off on this idea??????

like today i seemed to take 120 photos,(had no idea i had taken that many till got home) and it would be a nitemare if i had to do them one by one or something to get them saved to CD or disk???

i just want bulk save and copy to CD then.....does this or can this idea happen?
change progs when needed? drop down list or something?

?:|

thanxs all who posted, much appreciate the input.

beetle

JohnD
18-04-2004, 10:01 PM
>If you need to do something that irfanview cant, then I'd recommend you look at the GIMP

I am a fan of the GIMP using it on my RH9 system at home. Have installed into WinXP at work and find that it is not 100% usuable - most noticeable is the inability to close some windows. Is anybody else finding this?

Bazza
18-04-2004, 10:28 PM
Hi Beetle, Infranview does not "take over" your picture files, so dont worry. As others have said it is very useful to view, enhance, & resize your pictures.

You dont seem happy with the Fuji software that came with your camera. It maybe similar to the FinePix viewer that came with my Fuji 602 camera.

I find it excellent for transferring the pics from camera to the hard drive, and other tasks like emailing the pics. Could be worth persevering.

metla
18-04-2004, 10:40 PM
> Don't know about anybody else but I like my folder
> views to stay on the Details setting. I will enable
> thumbnail view occasionally but most of the time it
> just annoys the heck out of me and besides, it is so
> much quicker to double-click on a pic for Irfanview
> to pop open and browse through the rest of the
> folder.

Personally i have my view set at small icons,and just click it onto thumbnails when looking thru pics,and click it back to default view before closing the folder.Thumbnails are displayed instantly so it suits me.

beetle
18-04-2004, 10:44 PM
too much going on brain not following what fingers are typing.....

i dont think its actually the finepix prog that was the problem, just something else that came along for the ride....... the extra software these things seem to come with i guess, will pursevere .......

it may not be that bad, just caught me off guard i guess. too much to soon, with what learning the camera and set stuff.

beetle

the highlander
18-04-2004, 10:44 PM
Part of irfanviews installation procedure specifically asks what you want it to open as default viewer. If you choose to select all image formats it even nicely prompts you "are you sure " It also gives you the option at any time to change file associations. My irfanview installation is set up to open just about every graphic and media format I commonly use.

Plugin installers for extra filters are available on the irfanview homepage but free (legal) photoshop plugins need some hunting on google. There are lots out there, some of which are simply awful to downright spectacular. Most of the big plugin suppliers for photoshop such as extensis and flaming pear have one or two freebies. Good ones to start with which are easy to find are Unplugged and Harry's Filters.

Susan B
18-04-2004, 10:45 PM
When Irfanview is installed it pops up a dialogue box where you can choose which files to associate with it. That means that if you choose none (ie don't tick the boxes) then all your current graphic file associations will stay as they are.

If you associate none when you first install Irfanview you are able to add associations later at your leisure.

If you don't associate any files with Irfanview it just means that you need to open the program and then open your picture files from within the program instead of double-clicking on the file in Windows Exporer and having the program open automatically.

beetle
18-04-2004, 10:46 PM
LOL
i like thumbnails but my settings always go back to icons which annoy me no end.......

as usually the only thing i work with is pics or on Word so no probs what style folder.

LOL when can be bothered need to sort that little niggle out...

:D

beetle

Susan B
18-04-2004, 10:59 PM
> i like thumbnails but my settings always go back to icons which annoy me no end.......

You need to go into Windows Explorer, set your folder view how you want it (ie Thumbnails) then go to Tools>Folder Options>View and click on "Apply to all folders".

That should fix it but if it doesn't there may be another step that I have forgotten - it seems a bit too simple....

beetle
18-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Yes mum just it seems to change back regularly........

its a beetle thing ya know........

just does it to annoy me.

:D

remember this comp has a mind of its own......
:p

beetle