PDA

View Full Version : Cheap upgrade - What problems?

eef2
18-04-2004, 01:15 AM
I am thinking of upgrading my Award motherboard, version 1, with it's associated K5 100Mhz processor to a Pentium III CPU and it's associated motherboard - second hand from another system that worked without any trouble. ;\
What problems can I expect?
Please do not say I can do better and go to the full upgrade for that would be beyond my price range. :O
I have Win 98 SE which will be retained along with the retention of my current Hard Drive. The installer will put my existing Hard-drive into the casing that holds the Pentium III and motherboard.
Under the new architecture, can I expect all my programs (mainly office, browsers, downloaded utilities and such) to work any better?
Would appreciate replies, however general or techinal. Thanks, guys.

robsonde
18-04-2004, 01:26 AM
you MIGHT need to re-install windwos and all other programs, windows hates to have it "brain" swaped.

with a bit of luck you current software will keep running on the new system.

the program will run better if you do re-install windows and all your apps so if you can you should.

i think that as long as your new system has 128Mb of ram the n you should be flying along.

may i ask what kind of price you are paying for the "brain" swap?

eef2
18-04-2004, 03:01 AM
$300. I wonder what trouble may be encountered with drivers, also. Will keep this site posted as to my progress in a week or so after it is done..
Brain swap, good choice of words.

Susan B
18-04-2004, 11:14 AM
Isn't that price of $300 a bit high for a second-hand motherboard and CPU of those specs? ?:|

Curious George
18-04-2004, 12:15 PM
Yeah, $300 sounds pretty pricey....
If you are going to use your old HDD, optical drive etc, you may get much better value if you buy new from local computer shop, and still keep to budget.
Will the memory work?
I'm guessing your comp old had edo-ram, whereas the new will probably have sd-ram?
Graphics card? onboard? Pci?
Another problem may be if you are going from AT to ATX cases/power supplies.
It's probably best to do a fresh OS install with whatever computer you end up with. What's it for again? I hope it's not for games.....

eef2
18-04-2004, 01:38 PM
No, George - I don'y do internet games. I take the view that if I was a gamer - what's wrong with playstation 2? But that's another topic.

My system has the old SIMMS ram - all 64mB of it. Graphics card maybe different as I have the S3 type - version 1. It's amazing that I can still run Win 98 with this old gear.

The "new" box comes with two inbuilt fans, and built into the price is $50 for the installation time and effort by someone who knows what he is doing.

If I were to go elsewhere - as you suggest - I would find that I would be talked into: new card, new ram hardware - just as you say - and would wind up with more than $300 all told, I'm sure.

eef2
18-04-2004, 01:45 PM
And yes, presumably he will also move over all existing cards, and old SIMMS ram into the new box as well. New motherboard should recognise them, shouldn't it?