PDA

View Full Version : Adding RAM to DELL 4600?

Vince
17-04-2004, 07:52 PM
I bought a Dell 4600 from the Warehouse the other day and I'm quite pleased with it, but in spite of having a 128MB graphics card the cards in Free Solitaire move slower than my old 450Mhz PIII machine; so i bought a 256 MB ram card to boost performance. I should have read the manual first as it says "DDR memory modules should be installed in pairs of matched memory size. It goes on to say that if modules aren't "installed in matched pairs the computer will continue to operate, but with a slight reduction in performance.
Does that mean that my computer will slow down if I install the 256 MB??

metla
17-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Is that one of the $1400 dells from the warehouse?

if so then judging from the advert it doesn't have a 128mb video card, it has an integrated GO chipset that would be using system ram, going by what you have said, its probably able to take and use 128mb of your system ram.

Which would cause your computer to run terrible.

If Iím way off then my apologies, but thatís my educated guess.

You could have increased performance by freeing up some of the system ram being reserved for the onboard video, 128mb for onboard is ridicules, might as well give it 32 mb max, anymore is just a waste.

Seeing as you have purchased the extra stick of ram you might as well install it, I wouldnít worry about performance, Itís a Dell after all.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
17-04-2004, 10:23 PM
Of course it will also void your warranty I'd imagine.

Vince
18-04-2004, 12:04 AM
You should re-read that Warehouse add. I still have it here; it says "128MB DDR nVidia GeForce FX GO 5200 Graphics Card". Windows System Information tells me that this is correct.
I saw the video card with my own eyes when I opened the case, also the socket for the monitor to connect to the motherboard has a cap on it; the instructions say to leave it on and to use the socket on the video card. I did that and the monitor is working . Vince

metla
18-04-2004, 12:24 AM
Nice,i did say it was an educated guess seeing as the GO chipset to my knowledge has only apeared prior to this as a laptop chipset.

Vince
18-04-2004, 05:23 PM
"Of course it will also void your warranty I'd imagine."

The manual dosn't say so, just that it will effect performance. Does someone have the answer to my question?

metla
18-04-2004, 05:25 PM
You don't really think adding ram will slow down a Dell do you?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
18-04-2004, 05:32 PM
Most of those PC's any hardware change not performed by them inside the warranty period will void it.

Vince
19-04-2004, 12:20 AM
> Most of those PC's any hardware change not performed
> by them inside the warranty period will void it.

The user manual says [b]only[b] that the warranty does not cover [b]problems[b] caused by unauthorized service personal. It [b]does[b] provide step by step instructions for users to add RAM, drives and expansion cards. Vince

Vince
19-04-2004, 12:25 AM
Woops, looks like I forgot to close brackets or something! To bad we cant go back to make corrections. I guess I should have previewed my last post.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
19-04-2004, 01:16 AM
Chances are you are unauthorized service personnel.

By authorized they would mean them or their warranty agents. Just because the instructions are there I wouldn't imagine it making much difference.

Call them and check maybe?

kiwibeat
19-04-2004, 11:20 AM
What O/S was running on your old PC ? should be a lot faster on XP unless the program doesnt like it

Billy T
19-04-2004, 01:01 PM
> Of course it will also void your warranty I'd
> imagine.

That is gross misinformation and a really unhelpful and unnecessary post WTF!

You imagine wrong.

This issue has been covered many times on PF1 and you should know better, given the length of time you have been posting here during which there has been more than one foray into this territory.

Adding RAM to a new computer will not void any warranty Vince, not more than would adding software or attaching peripherals.

Provided you do not cause damage through static discharge or other 10-thumbed activities, the act of opening up a new computer to install RAM, floppy drives or to upgrade a CD-RW to say a DVD-RW does not invalidate any warranty.

Naturally the manufacturer/supplier will not warrant your added components, but they cannot refuse to honour warranty on any other component that may fail, or for any aspect of the original build and set-up that fails for perform to spec.

Ill-informed or shonky manufacturers might try it on with you, or try to blame your additions, but persistence and knowledge of your rights under the Consumer Guarantees Act will see you through.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

whiskeytangofoxtrot
19-04-2004, 03:37 PM
> That is gross misinformation and a really unhelpful
> and unnecessary post WTF!
>
> You imagine wrong.

Get down off your high horse before I pull out the stepladder that you used to climb on it.

> This issue has been covered many times on PF1 and you
> should know better, given the length of time you have
> been posting here during which there has been more
> than one foray into this territory.

Unlike yourself I don't live here, and don't read every thread written. If you're going to whinge about this why don't you whinge in all the other repeat threads that turn up every 2 or 3 days.

> Adding RAM to a new computer will not void any
> warranty Vince, not more than would adding software
> or attaching peripherals.

Most places like that are pretty stringent about who they do and do not let service their computers. He said unauthorised service personnel, and chances are he isn't qualified or 'Dell Authrosied' hence my advice that is probably would void it, and to check with them.

A lot of the bulk manufactured PC's are secured with warranty void tamper seals to prevent people opening them, I hardly think they do it for decorative purposes.

StevieRay
19-04-2004, 11:25 PM
Sorry WhiskeyTango Foxtrotter you are talking through a hole in your proverbial backside

I have experience of computers by such manufacturers as Dell, HP, Compaq and Packard Bell and ALL have said it is fine to add more RAM to them without voiding the warranty

Dolby Digital
19-04-2004, 11:54 PM
>>The manual dosn't say so, just that it will effect performance. Does someone have the answer to my question?
You should contact Dell's helpdesk to check the warranty situation. We could debate it here all night but a quick call (to India) should give you the company policy.

Jester
20-04-2004, 12:30 AM
Ringing them would be the best idea, but they do have instructions for changing RAM, here (http://support.ap.dell.com/ap/en/upgrade/memory.asp?segid=#moduleinstall)

J
:D

Vince
20-04-2004, 05:43 AM
> Get down off your high horse before I pull out the
> stepladder that you used to climb on it.
>
> Unlike yourself I don't live here, and don't read
> every thread written. If you're going to whinge about
> this why don't you whinge in all the other repeat
> threads that turn up every 2 or 3 days.
>
There is something very negative about your posts WTF.
In my opinion you are in breach of the rule to 'keep it nice'
in this forum.
>
> > Adding RAM to a new computer will not void any
> > warranty Vince, not more than would adding
> software
> > or attaching peripherals.
>
That is what I thought, but I would be responsible for
any problems that I caused and I was being cautious with
my brand new computer.
>
> Most places like that are pretty stringent about who
> they do and do not let service their computers. He
> said unauthorised service personnel, and chances are
> he isn't qualified or 'Dell Authrosied' hence my
> advice that is probably would void it, and to check
> with them.
>
The instrucions in the user manual without any warnings
,other than to install RAM in matched pairs, should constitute
consent by DELL.
>
> A lot of the bulk manufactured PC's are secured with
> warranty void tamper seals to prevent people opening
> them, I hardly think they do it for decorative
> purposes.
>
There were no anti-tamper seals. DELL has made the case very
easy to open.
Perhaps WTF you should confine yourself to 'friendly' comments
on matters that you know for sure.
Posted without spell checking; the first time clicking 'Spell Check
made everything dissapear and I had to type it all again!!

Vince
20-04-2004, 05:48 AM
I have solved the problem by buying a second RAM card (I'm not sure if it is SIM or DIM) I now have 768MB of system RAM installed and working. Vince

Billy T
20-04-2004, 11:51 AM
I wasn't going to bother to respond to you WTF because you are without doubt the most aggressive and irrational person currently posting on PF1, others had already taken you to task for your attitude, and I didn't want to feed your emotional disturbance. However threats like:

> Get down off your high horse before I pull out the
> stepladder that you used to climb on it.

are just too nasty to ignore, and unlike some of your other victims on PF1 (and victims is exactly what they are, because you are a classic playground/workplace bully) I don't go away that easy. I dedicated many years of my working life to fighting bullies like you, then helping their victims recover their self esteem. I am not only big enough to stand up to you, I'm smart enough and trained enough to recognise that you have a major anger management problem that hopefully one day you will finally recognise and take yourself off for some professional help. I sure hope you do, because it is not a happy way to spend a life, trapped inside a self-perpetuating sea of aggression. Your choice of user name gives clear view of your attitudes.

> Unlike yourself I don't live here, and don't read
> every thread written. If you're going to whinge about
> this why don't you whinge in all the other repeat
> threads that turn up every 2 or 3 days.

The issue here was not repeat threads, that is the nature of PF1 as new users come and grow. That is why we have FAQs, but we also answer patiently and thoroughly many basic questions from new users that have been answered probably hundreds of times before. The issue was that you posted an inaccurate and unhelpful response that a person of your experience almost certainly should have known was not correct.

> Most places like that are pretty stringent about who
> they do and do not let service their computers. He
> said unauthorised service personnel, and chances are
> he isn't qualified or 'Dell Authrosied' hence my
> advice that is probably would void it, and to check
> with them.

I started my respnse to your first post shortly after it appeared, but because I was working I couldn't post my reply until later. It wasn't until the page refreshed that I saw your subsequent posts. So why didn't you start with the last post first? IMV you just tossed of a flippant and unhelpful response and that is why I criticised it.

> A lot of the bulk manufactured PC's are secured with
> warranty void tamper seals to prevent people opening
> them, I hardly think they do it for decorative
> purposes.

No, they don't do it for decorative purposes, they do it in an attempt to discourage owners from using their own initiative and knowledge. It is also possible that they do it out of ignorance of New Zealand Consumer Law, but regardless, their warnings have no legal status. It would probably be different if it were a seal on an HDD or DVD drive, because the avarage user is not competent to effect any sort of repair or modification to those devices and is almost certainly going to cause damage.

The situation is different also for commercial technology purchased for business and outside the provisions of the CGA. Break those seals at your peril as you have very little protection or recourse if the supplier declares the warranty void.

So why not just settle down and keep it friendly as the Mods have asked you to do? It makes for a happier and easier life for all concerned. There are plenty of other Forums where you can go for flaming relief or a good fight, and there you will probably get back as good as you give.

Billy 8-{)

Biggles
20-04-2004, 01:16 PM
I get so tired of doing this.

WTF - shape up please. By all means disagree with Billy T's assement of your post, but not in this way:

>Get down off your high horse before I pull out the stepladder that you used to climb on it.

StevieRay - this really isn't helpful:

>Sorry WhiskeyTango Foxtrotter you are talking through a hole in your proverbial backside

I dunno. Maybe there's something in the water at the moment but some of you are acting like a bunch of submariners who've been down to long, breathing stale air and diesel fumes. Time for you to open the hatch, smell the fresh sea air and get some sun on your faces before you all end up looking like this:

http://deadman.co.nz/Images/downtoolong.jpg

Jim B
20-04-2004, 01:21 PM
> I wasn't going to bother to respond to you WTF
> because you are without doubt the most aggressive and
> irrational person currently posting on PF1, others
> had already taken you to task for your attitude, and
> I didn't want to feed your emotional disturbance.
>

For someone who preaches tolerance and understanding I find you personal comments on ths post and the previous one rather strange and disturbing and does not set a good example for others. It make me wonder who it is that needs the professional help here.

I don't consider the post from WTF to be unhelpful or inaccurate, it was his own opinion and in my view a valid one as anyone tampering with something under warranty whether that action voids the warranty or not is well advised not to do so as any subsequent problems and return to vendor are certainly not going to smooth the way for any claims if something has been changed or tampered with.
Regardless of the Consumers Guarantee act it is better to err on the side of caution and that is what WTF was suggesting and that I believe is very responsible advice.

To say it was a flippant and unhelpful response is rather arrogant in my view.
WTF was expressing his opinion as many do on this forum, and you of course can do the same but to attack someone who does not agree with your own views and then get upset at the response seems rather naive to me.

Try to keep it friendly as the mods have asked and you will be much happier.

JJJJJ
20-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Leave poor WTF alone. I get some good laughs reading his nonsense.