PDA

View Full Version : format windows 98se help

yingxuan
17-04-2004, 03:36 PM
I partitioned my friend's hardrive splitting her c drive to different bits.I told her to move all her mp3s into d drive so that when i format the computer it won't get rid of her mp3s since im formatting her windows drive which is C

Her computer came with a hewlettpackard cd and i remembered that she can put that disc as soon as the computer starts up and a menu comes up asking her to choose format or recovery.
I was wondering if i press format will that program in the cd actually formats c drive only?
I cant remember what happend so i wanna ask if anybody can tell if it'll ask which drive to format.

mark.p
17-04-2004, 05:17 PM
Generally these CD wipe the WHOLE hdd whether partitioned or not. The best bet is a generic win98cd and the approriate drivers.

mark.p
17-04-2004, 05:18 PM
That should have been Wincd.

kiwibeat
17-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Back up all data prior to reformats just in case use a standalone cd for 98SE if possible

Susan B
17-04-2004, 07:43 PM
> Generally these CD wipe the WHOLE hdd whether partitioned or not.

Does that generally apply to all system repair CDs regardless of brand, eg HP, Compaq and Packard Bell, etc?

Bletch
18-04-2004, 01:54 AM
Why not just use the dos FORMAT command that comes with Windows? Just hold down the F8 key while starting Windows (or bash it repeatedly - this usually works better) until you get the boot menu. Go to the 'command line only' or 'ms-dos' option, and type "FORMAT C:", then press enter. You'll have to wait a while for this to complete. If you are the impatient type, you can also use "FORMAT C: /Q". This doesn't actually format the partition fully, but just erases everything on it. When it asks for a "volume label" either type a name for the drive, or leave it blank.

Problem solved - the C:\ partition is now formatted, but all the data on D:\ remains.

Hope this helps,
Steve

mark.p
18-04-2004, 08:04 AM
http://www.compaqrepair.com/restore/

yingxuan
18-04-2004, 10:32 AM
I tried format c :/s but after formatting it like that.I don't think the cd could reinstall windows

I had to use the cd to format the format the cd automatically reinstalled windows.
If i do it manually.I don't think it'll work.
lAstime i formatted manually and used my windows 98 se cd to install.Her modem and everything wasn't detecting.She had to use the cd to format

yingxuan
18-04-2004, 10:35 AM
There is a recovery option in her cd but I wonder if it will work if i reinstall windows using my disc instead of hers and then use her hp cd and choose recover i wonder if it'll install all the necessary drivers back on

Billy T
18-04-2004, 12:19 PM
I don't think you can get away with using your CD, and from the sound of it you are out of your depth and likely to lose a friend if you carry on this path. Those MP3s are definitely at risk!

Save yourself a lot of hearthache, and either move the MP3s to a CD, or install a second drive as D:, move the MP3s to that, then run her recovery CD.

If using a recovery CD based system, IMHO it is better to install another drive for your data, then the recovery process doesn't cause any data retention problems.

Drives are cheap and installation is easy.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

yingxuan
19-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Well guess what.it didn't delete anything on d and e drive.
I now have another problem
The internet connection just stops transmatiing data in about 30 seconds after connecting to the internet.shes using an internal modem.
I called her isp paradise and they told me to check the ati3 .It was 2.2 and they /paradise said that it should be 3.2 and she will need to upgrade her internal modem.
What i don't understand is that.I bought my external modem over.I brought the driver for it too the computer automatically detects and installs however once everything has been setup when i try to dial using my modem it keeps saying no dial tone.Im sure that the fone line is connected and the driver is the driver from the manufacture cd
IF paradise says to upgrade her modem driver.Would u reckon it would be better for her to install a brand new internal modem?
her modem is about 4 years old.it is 56k though

Steve Askew
20-04-2004, 06:39 AM
> Well guess what.it didn't delete anything on d and e
> drive.
> I now have another problem
> The internet connection just stops transmatiing data
> in about 30 seconds after connecting to the
> internet.shes using an internal modem.
> I called her isp paradise and they told me to check
> the ati3 .It was 2.2 and they /paradise said that it
> should be 3.2 and she will need to upgrade her
> internal modem.

Try updating modem driver with latest version from HP site,If you can't find it just repost with computers model number.

> What i don't understand is that.I bought my external
> modem over.I brought the driver for it too the
> computer automatically detects and installs however
> once everything has been setup when i try to dial
> using my modem it keeps saying no dial tone.Im sure
> that the fone line is connected and the driver is the
> driver from the manufacture cd

Is the phone line plugged into the correct socket on back of modem? A lot of modems have a 2nd socket so you can plug a phone in.
I have also come across "No Dial Tone" message when the person has "Call minder"(phone beeps for a few seconds when you pick it up) installed & there is an unheard message & the modem doesn't wait 3-4 seconds for a dial tone.

Steve

Pheonix
20-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Just to add to Steve's comments, check the dialup account isn't still trying to use the old modem.

yingxuan
20-04-2004, 11:01 AM
In the dial up properties I have told the computer to use the external modem and not the internal modem.Dialup account are all correct.

Im trying to find a newer driver for her modem.its called rochwell hcf 56k data fax modem and her version is 2.2.I think i need a later version.Im trying to search for one and no luck.Cud somebody plse help me find one

yingxuan
20-04-2004, 11:04 AM
her model number for her computer is hewlettpackard 8160

Its a pentium 3 .100mhz 64 sd ram .52x cd rom drive
106gb hardrive.her hardrive was replaced in the past
She has one usb 1.1 port at the back and one serial/com port.

yingxuan
20-04-2004, 11:18 AM
it was 10gb

godfather
20-04-2004, 11:20 AM
Modem for 8160 (http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/softwareDownloadIndex.jhtml?reg=&cc=us&softitem=pv171en&prodId=pv8160&lc=en&plc=&sw_lang=en&pagetype=software)

This was from the HP support website. Did you try there?
www.hp.com

yingxuan
20-04-2004, 11:36 AM
Ahh i searched for the modem name not the computer's model number.Thanks for that
Im downloading hopefully her connection will be bak on and running