PDA

View Full Version : Other Topic

heaton
17-04-2004, 12:10 PM
Making enquiries about digital cameras, I came across a model where the advertising blurb said that it had 6 megapixel pictures. On examining the specifications in the owners handbook it said that the ccd was only 3.1 megapixels. The salesman could not elaborate except to say that the software in the camera changed 3.1 megapixels into 6 megapixels. I did not buy this. I notice that all the advertising for this model says it produces a 6 megapixal IMAGE. Is this valid or is it another advertising gimmick ? This is to warn others of this type of misleading advertising. Cheers

StevieRay
17-04-2004, 12:28 PM
What was the brand? I don't think such brands as Nikon, Canon, etc would be misleading

I didn't think the software could change the megapixels..... enhance the image perhaps, but change it no.

I could be wrong of course

superOman
17-04-2004, 12:33 PM
Hi
It will be a Fuji digital camera. The camera is infact only 3mp but the chip onboard turns it into a 6 mp. You could do the same in photoshop. You won't end up with a better image

Graham L
17-04-2004, 03:54 PM
Advertisers lie.

I saw a better one a long time ago. This was in a "New Products" column of an electronics magazine. The press release said the digital camera had "more than one megapixel". It was actually a 640x480 camera(300+k pixels), but colour, so you just multiply by 3, don't you?:D

godfather
17-04-2004, 06:11 PM
Use Google with the words: Fujifilm Super CCD

There are 43,000 items returned, but any on the first page will give an insight into the issue.

Overseas (UK) magazines seem to rate the 3.1 MP at equivalent to 4.5 - 5 MP when comparing it to others, which is consistent with some Fuji claims of an improvement of up to 1.6 times.

Due to the photodiode shape and sensitivity (plus the photodiode having dual S and R elements) they claim a higher quality output.

If the higher quality is based on mixing the info from the dual element photodiodes, that can't quite be duplicated in software after the photo has been extracted from the camera as claimed above though.

Its all marketing speak, but the moral of the story is that all pixels are not quite equal in modern technology. Compare the actual output from the camera but not solely on the pixel count.

I use a FujiFilm S602Z camera (3/6MP)and never bother with the "6 MP recorded" images as normal 3 MP quality of this camera is more than enough for my needs.