PDA

View Full Version : Harddrive failure? Dell Dimension 4600 win xp home

Raven
17-04-2004, 01:34 AM
I am unable to start the computer in Normal,Safe or any of the F8 functions and it keeps crashing and going into a blue screen or freezing.
I have spoken to Dell as this is only a month old and they guided me through their troublshooting techniques but to no avail.

They mentioned that I reformat the whole computer, however I have important data I hadn't backed up. I spoke to a family member who is an IT Tech and talked me through a series of techniques but to no avail and he suspects that it the Harddrive could be in Failure and there is bad clusters on the harddrive.
He said he could possibly save my data if it's not too late.

Any suggestions?

whiskeytangofoxtrot
17-04-2004, 01:40 AM
Take the HDD out of the PC, put it in another machine as a secondary drive and pull the data off it asap.

Then troubleshoot.

I dunno what kind of drive it is, Seagate have some great utilities available here (http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/utils.html).

But seriously don't waste your time with anything else till you've got the data off it.

sharvil_nz
17-04-2004, 02:04 AM
mate, looks like you have crashed windows than your hard-drive having bad sectors. unhook the hard-drive, put it in a second machine as primary slave and get your data off, instead of wasting your time looking around for solutions :) good LUCK !!

Raven
17-04-2004, 01:44 PM
Thanks for your help guys I figured as much

Susan B
17-04-2004, 02:19 PM
After you have rescued your data send the computer back to Dell for them to repair.

I am surprised Dell told you to reformat it - if it is only a month old fixing it is their problem. Don't shag around with it yourself.