PDA

View Full Version : security settings gone mad!

Dim Sim
16-04-2004, 11:49 PM
Hi, I recently did a re-format on my aging 433 Celeron . All went well until I got a trojan while I was updating my IE with security patches. I managed to rid myself of this problem ( I also used Spybot and did a regedit to get rid of all the nasties) but some where along the way my security settings have gone mad. I can't download or install Flashplayer (I have had it running for years??) I am finding some pages loading but all I can see is a blank page with a small box in the top lefthand corner with the red square , blue triangle and green circle. I am getting strange warnings when I got to download anything ( I get a warning that reads "Some files can harm your computer. If the information below looks suspicious, or you do not fully trust the source, do not open or save this file") Can anyone help me with these problems?? Thank you

Jim B
17-04-2004, 12:00 AM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q316537

Also set IE back to default settings.

In Internet Explorer go to Tools\Internet Options

1/ On the Security tab press "Default Level" then press "Apply"
2/ On the Privacy tab (IE6 only) press "Default" then press "Apply"
3/ On the Advanced tab press "Restore Defaults" then press "Apply" then "OK".

Dim Sim
17-04-2004, 12:14 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply. I have tried your suggestions a few times but for some reason there is a glich and I still get the same problems. I have changed the settings manually in the advanced window , still had problems. I can't figure this one out. The thing that makes me wonder is the fact that I downloaded and installed Macromedia Shockwave fine but Flash wont load????