PDA

View Full Version : Game troubles

rover1nz
16-04-2004, 10:51 PM
Just bought a copy of Carmageddon TDR 2000 and have installed it. When I run the program it asks me for the video card type then I click the play button. The mouse pointer turns to an hour glass for about 20 seconds then stops. Nothing happens. If I click Ctrl Alt Del, it says "TDR2000 (Not Responding)". The Setup.exe does the same thing. The updater starts running but only for about 3 seconds then disappears.
My computer is well above the system requirements, running Win98 and Directx 8 with a TNT2 Series video card. (which is suppoerted by the game)
Any ideas on how to fix this would be much apprieciated.
Thankyou

metla
17-04-2004, 12:23 AM
First off i haven't got this game so i don't have any direct experience with it,but look in the folder the game installed into and see if there is a readme.txt,or a releasenotes.txt.If your lucky it may list known problems,or chipsets that aren't suported.

Other then that try looking for a patch,the game developers site will be printed on the box.

Try an older set of drivers,possibly the ones that came with the card.

It really could be just about anything....

metla
17-04-2004, 12:24 AM
and you could try picking a different card type,if it has the option for software rasterisation run it in that mode,if it works you can just about garentee its a video card issue.

Greg S
17-04-2004, 12:57 AM
One thing worth considering is that it could be your cd drive is too fast, considering it appears to be an older game.

rover1nz
17-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Thanks for your quick replies, I have been thru all the readme files and the manual. And have had no luck with getting a patch but will keep searching. I only seem to be able to find an add on.
If it is my CD rom, which is only about a month old, I am guessing there is nothing I can do about that?

metla
17-04-2004, 11:50 AM
hmm,if the game has installed as you say then all you need to do is get a no-cd crack,no need for the cd after that.

the cd-rom isn't something i would initially be looking at,but having drivers that are much newer then the game could be an issue.The game itself is old,but that depends on how often you update drivers.

You may have a bad install,you could uninstall the game then re-install it.Does dxdiag show up any issues?

start>run>dxdiag