PDA

View Full Version : Worm Sober F Attack

Jester
16-04-2004, 08:39 PM
My main Orcon account has received 10 of the following emails from Orcon tonight. I have never had Virus or Spam on this account as only those who know me use it - looks like the honeymoon is over as far as this email addy goes :(

Suspected virus intercepted

We just intercepted a suspected virus to your email address, and instead of delivering the message to you immediately we have stored it in a special 'Intercepted Virus' folder on our system for your protection.

The message details are as follows:

Re: Faulty mail delivery

The message is believed to contain the following virii:
Worm.Sober.F

None of the recipients are in my address book, it's possible my address has been spoofed from someone with the virus - anyoe else been hit hard tonight?

I went to Orcon's webmail interface and checked one of the intercepted mail out, and all have attachments of 57-58k with .pif extensions.

J
:|

gerrypics
16-04-2004, 08:48 PM
This is quite normal for these things, yes they do spoof your address. Just delete them and have a bit comfort knowing that a lot of us are getting them as well.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
16-04-2004, 08:58 PM
The reason you are receiving these is most likely because someone you know is infected with the NetSky virus or one of the others active at the moment.

These viruses operate by picking two addresses at random out of an address book, setting one as the sender, and one as the recipient.

This is why you are receiving mail bounces from someone you do not know.

The mailer bounce above tells me that the person infected is a paradise user, chances are it's not you.

From this (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=46304) thread.

Susan B
16-04-2004, 08:59 PM
Welcome to the club, Jester. :-(