PDA

View Full Version : Heads up for racing sim fans

metla
16-04-2004, 08:36 PM
As some may have been noticed there was a thread the other day where I was ranting as usual about the superiority of the pc over consoles, in this instance it was about racing sims.

Obviously sometimes I need to just step back and let people enjoy their past times without me being a pratt...anyhow, this is to "spread the word" so to speak on my personal favorite sim and its mods.

EA's F1 challenge, quite simply a stunning game, with the best force-feedback I have ever experienced (its possible to feel the weight transfer across the chassis as you go through a corner, and as you get closer to the edge of handling you can feel every millimeter leading up to when the car breaks traction)

When developing the game they took note of the mod community and unlocked most aspects of the game and incorporated a host of features to allow for better and better mods, thus giving the game an extended lifetime, some of these mods are stellar, with many different era's and racing types included, from Aussie V8's, to miniís, European touring cars, Just about anything and everything, many are completed, many are in the works. Even the famous Pikes Peak hill climb has been made available.... Try driving a f1 car up a gravel hill climb...

Hereís a screenshot of one of the many mods.

Here (http://www.f1simlinks.com/main/mods/dtm02/mod_f1c_dtm024_800x600.jpg)

Believe me it even looks much better when in motion and in frenzied racing with the other cars.

For comparisons sake, Here (http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2004/screen0/561066_20040220_screen008.jpg)
is the best a ps2 can do.

And Here (http://www.f1simlinks.com/main/mods/mods_f1c.htm) is a page cataloging many of the hundreds of add-ons for the game, from updated cars, to wheels, tracks, full mods, even different viewpoints from inside the cars and new track cameras.

So if your an existing race sim fan,or like the idea but don't know where to start, then this baby is the game to get(and a steering wheel, you need one to get the most out of these games)

Susan B
16-04-2004, 09:23 PM
Crikey, if those cars look like that when you're "driving" them that is one incredible game alright. :O

> its possible to feel the weight transfer across the chassis as you go through a corner,

How?? In your mind or do you have a special force-feedback chair? :p
<thinks of metla's special black chair>

Haven't got any car racing fans in this household but if there are any motocross games like this let me know. ;-)

metla
16-04-2004, 09:41 PM
How?

Its hard to explain but the force feedback effects transfers the traction of the tires, the effect of traveling on the road surface and the weight shifting/tension/suspension/ in the car. The skill is to learn to respond to the input (plus the visual and the audio, it all plays a big part) in such a way as to drive the car fast.

I have f1 challenge running continually on my display model, its an eye opener for a lot of people. It even sold a computer on the spot yesterday.

As for Motocross games, Motocross Madness 2 was the last good game for the PC, but its horribly outdated now. In its prime it had excellent graphics, a strong online community, and many hundreds if not thousands of tracks have been released.

I used to stay up till 4am every morning playing MCM2 online, seeing as the early hours of the morning was when the major tournaments were going on.

hamstar
16-04-2004, 10:39 PM
Wow, sounds freakin awesome...

must add it to the download list ;-) hehehehe

nah jokes....