PDA

View Full Version : Calling all who have joined jetstream recently

craig_b
16-04-2004, 02:54 PM
I joined jetstream (starter, thru Orcon) about a month ago, and when I called telecom to get the service connected I was told that the $99 connection fee was being waived at the moment because of a special offer.

I had seen the ads on TV, but they state that this special is if you join xtra jetstream, so I made it clear to the operator that I was not going to be joining Xtra.

The operator said to me that did not matter and I would still be eligible, that the special was in fact open to all joining jetstream regardless of ISP...

However, when my monthly bill arrived it had on it:
1 Jetstream Connection: $99

So I rang telecom back, and without explaining my problem I aksed "does the connection special offer apply if you join a different ISP from XTRA for jetstream?" and the operator said yes. So I asked "why have I been charged then" She put me on hold and came back and said, her boss tells her the special is only if you join xtra jetstream.

Hang on a second, I have just been told twice, and by two different operators that the special apply's, but when I ask for specifics I find that oh, in fact the special doesn't apply.

What I want to know is whether anyone else has recently joined under this special offer, but has gone with a different ISP from xtra, and whether you had to pay the $99 as well, and whether this was made clear to you on joining or not?

Thanks,
Craig.

Jester
16-04-2004, 03:14 PM
I signed up for Jetstream Starter, originally with Paradise, early last year, and it was at the time of a free connection offer.

At that time, my Telecom account reflected the charge, followed by a credit.

I have received further correspondence from Telecom over the year or so, just the usual marketing stuff, and, to me, the Jetsream side of things appear quite separate from the ISP.

What I am saying is that the Jetream Connection is through Telecom, not your ISP. Therefore the connection offer, if made by Telecom, would stand, regardless of ISP.

I note however that the push for sign-ups with free connection has been advertised mainly by Xtra. It could be that they have struck a deal with Telecom for their new customers, and would probably subsidise Telecom this cost.

Currently, Orcon do not advertise a free install (line enabling).

Looks like a case of the misconception that Jetstream is supplied by Xtra to ISPs, when it's Telecom that supplies it which is quite separate.

J
:D

craig_b
16-04-2004, 04:12 PM
Aha! A resolution.

I was just checking out the telecom website, and I started the process of joining jetstream. I selected to join telecom jetstream (the option which allows me to select an ISP myself) and the starter service. I was presented with a connection options page: Self Install: Free, Full Install $130...

I rang telecom again, and again without mentioning who I was, I asked a general question, does this special apply for all new users, and the guy said yes, and when I explained my problem with the charge he said as far as he knew the connection would be free, and that he would check the internal memo's for the correct answer...

The free connection applies to all NEW residential home and home business connections between March 8, 2004 and April 18, 2004 regardless of ISP, as the free connection is simply a connection to the 'broadband' network.

So I mentioned to him about my previous call, and my attempt to have the fee waived, and the come back that "in actual fact the free connection is only for xtra jetstream customers"

He said, lets waive the fee right now then, and told me the rebate would appear on my next bill...

Just in case anyone else has the same problem, make sure you call them back and get your free connection...

Cheers,
Craig.

Jester
16-04-2004, 04:44 PM
Well done !

StevieRay
18-04-2004, 12:55 PM
Excellent advice, and kudos to Telecom to spot the iregularity and fix it.

I am with ihug by the way, but am thinking of changing to Xtra before the deal runs out

Susan B
18-04-2004, 12:57 PM
> I am with ihug by the way, but am thinking of changing to Xtra before the deal runs out

I think the offer finishes today.

StevieRay
18-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Drat. Thought it was the 28th

whiskeytangofoxtrot
18-04-2004, 01:40 PM
> Drat. Thought it was the 28th

Why drat? If you have JetStream with one ISP it costs nothing to change between them (except Xtra's exorbitant 'sign-up fee')

craig_b
20-04-2004, 01:24 PM
Never mind that it took me two calls of at least 20 mins on hold, and one more of 45 mins on hold to resolve, and was questioned twice about changing my toll calls over to telecom (which they already are, and I don't actually make any tolls...) Also, I still have to actually pay the $99 and they will credit my account next month... They say it takes about 20 days to process a dispute.

Also, three times I rang over easter weekend (twice on Saturday, and once on Tuesday) and recieved no answer, didn't even get their hold music! after 20 mins of waiting.

Personally I don't think telecom deserve any kudos whatsoever for this sort of behaviour.

If it wasn't for the mere principal of the incorrect billing I wouldn't have wasted the time...

Budda
20-04-2004, 01:48 PM
i think someone was pulling you leg, i signed up with orcon for a jetstart plan and asked about the $99 connection fee and they said it was for all ISP's, i got my telecom bill and had the usual debit and credit of the connection fee. Had two friends who also joined as orcon jetsurf customers and as far as i know they got the same thing.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
20-04-2004, 01:49 PM
I personally think it's worth waiting at times. I got a $100 rebate for waiting 10 minutes and having a simple error on my account which they couldn't correct until the following month. That's two months free internet. Sure am happy ;-)