PDA

View Full Version : TCP/IP Error in Outlook

hamstar
16-04-2004, 10:35 AM
My friend is having some problems with outlook 2000.

When she tries to recieve mail outlook comes up telling her that there has been a TCP/IP stack error 0x800xc00 or some **** like that and she can't get her mail.

I've searched google and found how to get it working but dumb windows XP won't let me remove the TCP/IP protocol.... XP treats not only the newbie user, but everyone like they don't know wtf they're doing!

I have also tried deleting and recreating the mail account, but to no avail.

Cheers
Hamstar

robo
16-04-2004, 11:25 AM
It might not be tcp at all.
I had a similar thing on a PC that was connecting to itself (it was running an MDaemon server).
I exported all email data, then cut loose the existing PST and connected to the new one and it was fine.
You want to try that?
robo.

hamstar
16-04-2004, 12:25 PM
PST? What? Cut loose?

What do you mean? Re-install Outlook?

I ain't a newbie but thats like killer server talk.....

robo
16-04-2004, 03:22 PM
(sorry, by you post count I figured you would know what I meant)

The PST file is where the personal folders are kept.

You don't need to reinstall outlook. After you export all folders in the personal storage using File, Import and Export, and choose Export to a file. Then choose a personal folder file (PST) and click next. Then choose the Personal Folders line and tick the "include subfolders" box. Save it somewhere you can find it.

Then choose Tools, Options, Mail Setup Tab, Click on Data Files button. You should see Personal Folders, click on it, then Remove. Then click Add and point to the file you created.

Then, you need to tell it where to deliver new mail, but I can't remember how to find that. If you get this far, post again and I will try to track it down. I am looking at Outlook XP so it might vary a little.

robo.

hamstar
16-04-2004, 10:38 PM
cheers robo...

I actually figured out kindof what you meant this afternoon but thanks for the confirmation....

falvrez
17-04-2004, 09:08 AM
"After you export all folders in the personal storage using File, Import and Export, and choose Export to a file."

I used to do it that way but found it quicker to just copy the outlook folder and then import it again on the new machine (if upgrading) or back into outlook

robo
17-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Yes, but exporting sort of cleans out any issues with data structures and maybe viruses in emails. You get over any PST corruption by exporting. That's why I suggested that.
Copying the PST file is fine in a simple transfer situation.
robo.