PDA

View Full Version : New computer system, help me decide on components

KingWave
16-04-2004, 02:54 AM
Hi guys,

I'm trying to sort out a new computer system for my brother for pretty cheap price. It will be for games and other stuff. I will be building the system myself out of components and shopping around to get the best prices.

So far I've come up with this setup (http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/decimato/comp/comp.htm). 56k warning :p

Feel free to comment and offer some advice.

If you scroll down the page more, I've had to decide on the gigabyte or asus board there. Not too sure on which to pick, apart from the $100 difference.

Also the GeXcube video card or the Gigabyte one. Which one is better? Both are around the same price, but the GeXcube one might come with a Half Life 2 coupon which would be handy!

We're on a rush here, so quick comments please :)

ilikelinux
16-04-2004, 08:50 AM
ur images on your site are broken.

godfather
16-04-2004, 09:08 AM
To be specific, your images are linked from your PC HDD and not from the site, so you are the only one that can see them....

KingWave
16-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Whoops, sorry about that. I'm such a newbie :O

Anyway, images are fixed.

What do you think? I'm being froced to go order it shortly, so you'll have to be quick.

StevieRay
18-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Who is forcing you. The retailer? If so, I wouldn't buy from them.

KingWave
18-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Has nobody got any comments to make on the setup?

"Who is forcing you. The retailer? If so, I wouldn't buy from them."
No, my brother is ;)

Jen C
18-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Looks a nice setup.

You asked on your website about needing a DVI adapter for your graphic card - the one you have selected has both DVI and standard VGA connectors, so you can connect either a CRT monitor with the VGA connector or a LCD (with or without a DVI connection), you don't need any adapter. Power supply cords are supplied with the component (PSU/case or monitor) as are floppy ribbon cables/IDE ribbon cables with the motherboard, however I see you are planning to use rounded IDE and floppy cables anyway.

What type/wattage of power supply unit are you planning on getting (the case doesn't come with one)?

Gigabyte and Asus are both known for good quality motherboards.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
18-04-2004, 08:19 PM
CPU/Mobo: No comment. The mobo you have suggested should go well. However, whether you want an AMD or Intel, I will not comment.

Case/PSU: Those will do fine.

Video Card: You may like to look at other options. But... those ones your looking at can be brought for $265+GST

Ram: Much too expensive I think. You can get those for $139.50+GST

Hard Drive: Again, too expensive, you might want to consider the Seagate 120Gb 7200rpm Serial ATA Hard Drive 8MB cache for about $167+GST

Monitor: That is again... a bit expensive. You may want to consider AOC 7F 17". Personally I think AOC will do fine, although Philip may sound to be better. AOC has onsite warranties for 3 years, etc. Personally I think that's good enough for $166+GST ish

CD-RW/Floppy: Good enough

Kybd/Mse/Spkr: Not much comment, except some people say that the new brand into NZ, Ozaki, is taking over the market that Creative had. They're cheaper, and apparently, better. Haven't use any though, so don't know for sure.

All in all, I personally think you could get cheaper prices. Buying from many outlets will save even more. Although your preference may be Black System due to gaming, it does come at a cost as you would know. Buying normal beige coloured gear, would save quite a bit. Try reduce the price, as that is always good. But should be a good system ;-)

Good Luck,

KingWave
18-04-2004, 08:21 PM
Hi Jen, thanks for your comments. Thats a relief I don't need an adapter for the monitor :)

> What type/wattage of power supply unit are you planning on getting (the case doesn't come with one)?

Oh, thats right up the top of the page. I'll be using a 400W one we have spare. It came from DSE for $105 not more than a month ago and I hope its up to the job.

Jen C
18-04-2004, 08:24 PM
>What type/wattage of power supply unit are you planning on getting (the case doesn't come with one)?

Nevermind, I obviously can't read :8} - I see you have a 400W PSU listed.

KingWave
18-04-2004, 08:38 PM
> Video Card: You may like to look at other options. But... those ones your looking at can be brought for $265+GST

Thats $298.13 and where abouts from?

> Ram: Much too expensive I think. You can get those for $139.50+GST

$156.94 and where from? Is it dual channel ddr400 and a good brand name?

> Hard Drive: Again, too expensive, you might want to consider the Seagate 120Gb 7200rpm Serial ATA Hard Drive 8MB cache for about $167+GST

Thats $187.88 and I did look at that but I heard the WDs are faster and more reliable.

> Monitor: That is again... a bit expensive. You may want to consider AOC 7F 17". Personally I think AOC will do fine, although Philip may sound to be better.

Yah I went with the black Phillips because I didn't see any other good names there for good prices.

Thanks for the comments.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
18-04-2004, 09:24 PM
Ram is a GeIL 512Mb 5ns PC3200 Dual Channel Aluminium Plated DDR 2x256MB. So.. should be same as your one.

Philips is a fairly good monitor brand, however, I've found (don't own one, but was buying one), as most other AOCs owners have too, they are no better. So for the same price, I would think that most would want to go for the cheaper path. But seeing as that's not for you, Philips will do fine if you want to pay the extra.

Hard drive, I have had faulty WD but no Seagates. These vary between users and batches. So... hard to say, but WD should not be any faster. Western Digitals are like the BMWs, etc. They are the premium priced, but saying that, cannot beat the top Toyota. What you may hear about Seagates is that many break. But the misunderstanding is that there are more sold. Thus, the failure rate isn't higher.

I strongly suggest you visit http://www.pricespy.co.nz as it looks like you aren't aware of it's existence. There you will find the cheapest prices nationalwide. The prices I have given in my previous post is aimed at trying to get as close to what you want as possible. You may find that the same graphic chipset, but different badges, e.g. GeCube and Gigabyte has approximately $50 difference. So, there you'll get a good idea of how much you're paying extra for the premium products. And then, you can assess whether you really think it's worth it.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
18-04-2004, 09:25 PM
> Thanks for the comments.

No worries, just give me 50% of what you save at the end in return ;-) :D

KingWave
18-04-2004, 10:07 PM
> Ram is a GeIL 512Mb 5ns PC3200 Dual Channel Aluminium Plated DDR 2x256MB. So.. should be same as your one.

Ah that might be why I'm paying the premium. Mine is CAS 2, meaning it has very low latency (http://homepages.inspire.net.nz/~evans/articles/memory/), and at 400mhz too. Should be great for overclocking.

I know the processor can only do 333mhz FSB (http://www.upgradeware.co.nz/xptmc/faq.htm), but if I want I can increase that to 400mhz then ram won't have a fit, so 12.5x200 = 2500Mhz speed cpu. Optimistic I know. ;)

> You may find that the same graphic chipset, but different badges, e.g. GeCube and Gigabyte has approximately $50 difference.

Yeah I looked into the Gecubes and on their site (http://www.gecube.com/productCategory.php?ID=7) it looks like they have 4 different versions of the 9600xt with varying levels of performance! It would be a nightmare trying to find the fastest and cheapest of them, so I went with the Gigabyte as its likely as fast as its meant to be without any limitations.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
18-04-2004, 10:51 PM
> > Ram is a GeIL 512Mb 5ns PC3200 Dual Channel
> Aluminium Plated DDR 2x256MB. So.. should be same as
> your one.
>
> Ah that might be why I'm paying the premium. Mine is
> CAS 2,
> meaning it has very low latency (http://homepages.inspire.net.nz/~evans/articles/m
> mory/), and at
> 400mhz too. Should be great for overclocking.

Ah, well here goes, still much cheaper, $155.56 from StylesPC

GeIL 512Mb 5ns GL2000 Chip PC3200 DDR 400Mhz 512Mb 5ns GL2000 Chip CAS 2 .5 Low Latency Dual Channel 2x256Mb

Satisfied? Actually I'm starting to think that you are sorta mixing in the wrong things. You want the best and most famous of every part. May I suggest you go for the 64 bit AMD Opteron CPUs as this will be too good for gaming. Do you really think there is a need for all the flash things?

Get what you think is best for you.... obviously my priorities are different to yours.

KingWave
18-04-2004, 11:18 PM
MMmm yep thanks sy, thats a good price for that too ($175 for the dual channel kit). CAS 2.5 won't be too much performance decrease ;)

Anyone else got any ideas?

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
18-04-2004, 11:32 PM
> MMmm yep thanks sy, thats a good price for that too
> ($175 for the dual channel kit). CAS 2.5 won't be too
> much performance decrease ;)

No worries, remember the deal.... 50% of your savings :p

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
18-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Btw, How would you like to pay? Cash or Cheque? No eftpos :p ]:)

Would be interesting to see what other thoughts....

Ollie123
18-04-2004, 11:46 PM
Where do you buy your hardware from at the cheaper prices??

Ollie123
18-04-2004, 11:57 PM
Can someone please explain how I can find out the wattage of the power supply unit in my computer.
Some new graphics cards need a certain amount, and I want to know before I buy a new one.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
19-04-2004, 10:25 AM
Well, as I said, visit http://www.pricespy.co.nz This is an independently owned website with automatic update giving you price comparsions between different retailers/shops. There you will have all you need to work out the cheapest, most expensive, average price, and anything you need for a good statistic project ;-)

With the wattage of the PSU, there should be a label on it. (There is one mine) If not on the outside, it may be on the inside. Otherwise, I think you will have to wait for someone elses reply as I don't know what you do after that....

Good luck,