PDA

View Full Version : MP3 Juke box

00falcon
16-04-2004, 12:46 AM
The flat-mate wanted me to build him a PC Jukebox that he could wire upto his stero...

Got the box and stuff up and running... hes rapped... makes life so much easier... and keeps the CD's tidy...

My 2 Q's are...

can any one recomend a good sound.... as this box has onboard sound... and it sound a bit flat...

and... does anyone know that Max cable length for RCA cables...?
and would length effect quality...?

ta
Falcon

hamstar
16-04-2004, 10:28 AM
If you want good sound it'll probably cost ya... like a sound blaster audigy card or something...

As for the length limit, @ 20metres you should just have to turn up the volume a bit more, as long as the cable isn't getting noise from anything like sitting on power cord or something...

cheers.
.chumba

Jester
16-04-2004, 10:53 AM
Not sure what mp3 program you are using, but the latest Winamp has an equaliser/booster option that may give the sound more life. It also has a cross-fade feature that merges the songs into each other.

J
:D

godfather
16-04-2004, 11:25 AM
Cable length will not affect volume to any extent as suggested above, but the capacitance of the cable will effect the high frequency (treble) response.

Realistically if you are using a reasonable quality cable its unlikely to be a factor that you would notice unless you have a few hundred metres...

Marlboro
16-04-2004, 05:50 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong Godfather

I thought that Capacitance is length dependent (i.e. the longer the cable the higher the capacitance), resulting in signal loss?

godfather
16-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Capacitance is indeed length dependent, but we are taking about picofarads per metre, not microfarads.

The "loss" is totally frequency dependent (DC would have near 0 loss) so only the high frequency portion would eventually suffer, as I indicated. We can ignore "power loss" as currents are negligible.

Bass signals and low frequency audio signals are closer to DC, and would need to have microfarads applied to see much loss. Good quality cable should have a very low capacitance.