PDA

View Full Version : Remote desktop connection

nav2u
16-04-2004, 12:26 AM
hi guys,

was just trying out Remote desktop connection but it did not work completely, when it was time to log in it gave me an error unable to log you on because of an account restriction. Now trying to solve this problem i found that the remote computer(HOST) must not be in use while trying to access it and also the account being accessed should also have a password. Haven't tried these things as yet but was wondering if there is actually a way to see what is happening on the remote computer while it is in use something like what network administrators use to see what a user is doing if he gets suspicious about the user.

I am using Win XP Home and the remote pc has Win XP PRO

thanks
Nav

godfather
16-04-2004, 01:03 AM
XP Home cannot access another PC using Remote Desktop, only XP professional can. XP home can be accessed by it though.

nav2u
16-04-2004, 01:13 AM
If i am not mistaken (i am no computer expert) i think it is the other way around that Host can only be WinXP pro though client can be any thing from win 95 to winXP home or pro, check out the following link http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/gomobile/remotedesktop/default.asp
A few minutes ago i successfully accessed my desktop pc running winXP pro from my laptop running winXP Home now the only thing that i cannot do is access the desktop PC while it is in use by another user for which i might need another software i guess, i am downloading adminmagic will try it soon.

thanks
Nav

Chilling_Silence
16-04-2004, 01:50 AM
It might pay to look into TightVNC. The latest Beta version is really cool (File-transfers...)

Chill.

falvrez
17-04-2004, 09:12 AM
"If i am not mistaken (i am no computer expert) i think it is the other way around"

Have to agree with that, sorry GF.

Also I may be mistaken but the remote desktop user account on the Pro machine has to be administrator or at least power user, not restricted account ...

godfather
17-04-2004, 11:24 AM
Just going by this article ...

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprmdtp.htm

Remote Assistance is available on XP Home, but (according to this) not Remote Desktop.

Never needed to use it myself so can't comment further.

godfather
17-04-2004, 11:31 AM
I suspect the article in my link really refers to the fact that remote desktop in just not included in XP Home (and it certainly does not appear to be in my system) and would need to be installed.