PDA

View Full Version : Is Splurge ISP teetering?

Robin S_
15-04-2004, 04:21 PM
Splurge ISP has been difficult to log onto most times over the past 3 weeks or so. It ususally takes at least 2 attempts and up to 10 minutes or more. In general it seems to be working better during the day than it does at night.

Does anyone have any inside information? Is it teetering and in danger of crashing and dying?

Jim B
15-04-2004, 05:27 PM
Had never heard of them, but I see they are Auckland only so that might explain things. You know how congested the trafic is around Auckland.

Do you realize they do not support V90 and only offer 33k connection speed.
That is really unusual for an ISP these days and might be telling you something.

Graham L
15-04-2004, 06:45 PM
If they don't use V90 and support only 33.6k, they may have a rack of real modems, and not enough of them. That would explain the multiple tries to connect. I take it they don't encourage "always on".

ilikelinux
15-04-2004, 07:01 PM
sounds a bit like freenet

whiskeytangofoxtrot
15-04-2004, 07:43 PM
> sounds a bit like freenet

lol... I love you people that whine about free services... just think they are doing you a favour. If you aren't paying anything you can hardly expect a 100% service agreement.

ilikelinux
15-04-2004, 07:48 PM
>just think they are doing you a favour

They Doing me a favor????

They email my dad complaining that we dont use them, as we have jetsurf :-P

Robin S_
15-04-2004, 11:38 PM
Yes, Jim, I am aware that they only claim a 33k service but usually it is better than that. I don't download much and have found their service adequate and cheap (it's not free!). Perhaps I should have explained that until about a month ago it was customary to login successfully at first attempt - second at the most. But since then logins have become more difficult and over the past week it seems more like the freebies used to be (I didn't compain about them - I didn't expect a Rolls Royce for nothing). My point is that their sevice has deteriorated markedly recently and I would like to know if they have been forced to downgrade or are they struggling to stay afloat and likely to crash.

So again, if anyone has some inside info on this I'd be grateful.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
16-04-2004, 12:12 AM
My obvious answer in all ISP threads...

Have you tried ringing them and asking them?

Chances are the people on the phone know about the issue and can give you more information, especially smaller ISP's, their staff tend to know a bit more relevant info.

It could be anything to an issue with Telecom routing, or lines, to a hardware bank failure or excessive growth... who knows?

Billy T
17-04-2004, 12:59 PM
> sounds a bit like freenet

I've used Freenet as a backup to Jetstream for years and it has always been 100% reliable. I execise it regularly so that Freenet don't think I gone away!

After reading many thousands of posts, and observing the human condition exhibited therein, I have noticed that almost all complaints about dial-up service produce responses that fall into three main categories:

1) Me too!

2) No problems here!

3) Cynics/conspiracy theorists/doom merchants (all ISP's are crooks etc).

It seems a fair bet then that in most cases the problems are due to local line conditions, computer problems or unrealistic user expectations. Rarely, if ever, is a genuine ISP problem identified.

In this instance I fall into category 2 :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

metla
17-04-2004, 02:08 PM
As to freenet,i need to contact them,does anyone have a phone number,site addy,email address or snail mail address?

Only site i could find was complety dead and haven't been able to find them in the online yellow pages.

Apreciate any info.

stu120404
17-04-2004, 02:32 PM
> As to freenet,i need to contact them,does anyone have
> a phone number,site addy,email address or snail mail
> address?

Thanks to the Wayback Machine http://web.archive.org/web/20021017113429/www.free.net.nz/help.html

Note: their site is hosted on a windows box (ASP), so you might want to try they site again, in a few days.

Telephone support:
To speak directly to one of freenets support engineers simply

call 0900 freenet (37336)

between the hours of 8am and 10pm Monday - Friday, and 9am to 1pm on Saturdays.
Before you call, please have your reference number or username for your freenet account handy.
calls will cost $1.98 per minute, so make sure that you're the person responsible for paying the telephone charges.

Hope this helps :)

metla
17-04-2004, 02:58 PM
Thank you Stu,that does indeed help. You have my gratitude.

Robin S_
18-04-2004, 03:53 PM
WTF - thanks for your suggestion. I seem to remember that I tried to contact Splurge by phone in their early days but couldn't find a number. As a result of your post I checked their site again and it now mentions that they are part of Mercury Telecommunications - which does have a listed number. I will try that next week.