PDA

View Full Version : Speaker selection

scott.walters
15-04-2004, 02:43 PM
I have a receiver at home that drives some very large 3 way speakers. The problem we have is that they are too large. I was wondering whether it would be possible to buy a 5.1 setup (even for a PC?) and connect the speakers directly to the receiver. The receiver handles an A and a B set of speakers and also has a separate sub out. I know it isn't true 5.1, but am just looking for a way to get reasonable sound perhaps by hanging the speakers on the wall around the room. Ideas anyone?

Thanks
Scott

zminos
15-04-2004, 03:14 PM
power? it's not a solution but is a concern.

as far as I know a 5.1 soundcard in a PC will not drive a convention set of stereo speakers.

may an external audigy?

:)

godfather
15-04-2004, 03:29 PM
PC "speakers" are usually "aplified speakers", where the input signal is a low level (Line Level) signal that is amplified by an internal amplifier in the speaker(s). They have an external power source (plug pack) usually.

The "large" speakers you refer to are likely to be real speakers (unamplified) as the receiver unit houses the amplifier. So, often the PC "speakers" are simply not designed to work well on a real stereo system.

And the large ("real") speakers will not work on most PCs (some PCs have buit in amplifiers but not many).

Graham L
15-04-2004, 04:20 PM
They will so work! Just very, very, very, quietly. :D