PDA

View Full Version : Errors and system restore

Veale
15-04-2004, 01:21 PM
Afternoon,

Couply quick questions.
1700 athlon
win xp

Every time I go into Display Properties i come up with a "run.dll" error, i can still alter settings, but if i select 'ok' then it shuts the display properties down, any idea on how i can remedy this?

Furthur to this, when errors like this occur i usually system restore, when i go into this setting however, i can only select up to a month ago and this is not far enough, i used to be able to go back to when the computer was new, not anymore and I haven't altered any settings for it!

My comp is a hp, so system restore is the only way of resetting my PC as there is no recovery disk with it and therefore no operating system disk, what can I do?

Cheers
Veale

Susan B
15-04-2004, 01:28 PM
For your system restore query, the reason that you cannot go back further than a month is because Windows allocates a maximum of 12% of your hard drive space to system restore. When that limit is reached it begins to drop the older restore points to allow for newer ones to be made.

The default setting of 12% can be decreased if desired so you might like to check that it has not been made smaller. You can do this from System Properties>System Restore>Settings.

Veale
15-04-2004, 04:43 PM
How do I go about restoring the computer back to a stable state. With it being a HP, there was no operating system supplied and no recovery disk so i can not reformat the whole thing. Any ideas?

Davesdad
15-04-2004, 04:52 PM
> How do I go about restoring the computer back to a
> stable state. With it being a HP, there was no
> operating system supplied and no recovery disk so i
> can not reformat the whole thing. Any ideas?

HP store the system recovery files in a hidden partition. They can be accessed from a recovery program (I can't remember what it is called) on the programs menu. It may be under accessories.

Robby
16-04-2004, 10:09 AM
gidday,

your hp computer has a hidden partition, that will allow you to either format and restore your computer back to factory conditions, this, will delete all information, that you have stored.

It will also restore, holding your information, and reload xp.

if you are unable to boot to xp, shutdown your computer, restart, and press F10, this will give you several options, including restoring your computer.

If you have xp up, click start, all programs, hp tools, and hp pc system recovery. follow the wizard.

good luck,

Robby