PDA

View Full Version : How to open a finalized cd...?

paradox
14-04-2004, 10:49 PM
I have a cd that is near full of files added over period and finalized after the last addition. My problem is that when I just tried to unfinalise the disk I got the message
"Not enough disk space"
"You will not be able to read and write to the disk through drive letter access."

I still can access the files either with the cd writer or the cd rom drive and could cut and paste back to the HD if necesary, but my problem is to avoid this happening again. How can I tell when the free space on a cd is getting critical enough to allow finalizsation but prevent opening the disk again? The writer gave no warning and I haven't been able to see anything on the subject in the helpfile. W/Explorer shows 611mb om disk.

My gear is getting a bit elderly. The writer is a basic HP8200 series and the Roxio software that came with it. Hope someone has a fix for this....Cheers....Ken

Orion
15-04-2004, 01:14 AM
> My problem is that when I just tried to unfinalise the disk I got the message

You tried to un-finalise?? Impossible?

Leave about 15mb in general for finalising the cd etc.

Looks like you've possibly made a coaster. Copy the data from the cd onto your hard drive, then make a single session burn onto a new cd and finalise that.

In future just make sure you leave 15mb~ :)

mikebartnz
15-04-2004, 01:41 AM
>I have a cd that is near full of files added over period and finalized after the last addition.
You finalized the CD and that is that.

beetle
15-04-2004, 04:15 PM
ok im gonna jump in here cos i have no idea what is or how to finalise a cd?

when does the prog or whatever give you this option?

i was of the understanding you couldnt go back from this option.....
finalising is when it becomes full ? so as you dont copy over it or delete it is this some where near right?

means no loss of info which is on that disk?

none of mine are due to the fact most of mine are nowhere near full at this point in time, so this may be where my lack of knowledge comes from?

sorry to hijack this thread.

beetle

Susan B
15-04-2004, 04:53 PM
Finalising a CD means closing it so that no more files can be added and it can then be read by a computer or other reader than the one that created the CD.

It is normally used on CD-R discs which are not rewritable although you can also do it on rewritable CDs. The idea is that if you do not have enough files to fill a CD you can write (or "burn") a "session" with your disc writing software (eg Nero, etc) and leave it "open" then add some more files in another session which is also left open, until you run out of room on the CD, then the CD is "closed" or finalised. It should then be able to be read on another computer, etc.

It is best not to create music CDs with multiple sessions because most, or a lot, of CD players cannot read them. They are best burnt in one session which will be a closed or finalised session.

E & OE

paradox
15-04-2004, 11:05 PM
Thanks orion...that's what I needed to know...I may even make my reserve space 20mb!

agent_24
15-04-2004, 11:13 PM
nero seems to only care about 1mb, but hay

PoWa
16-04-2004, 12:27 AM
If doing one session and finalising immediately you can burn up to 700mb and over if overburning.

For multiple sessions, best leave 16mb or so as Orion says.