PDA

View Full Version : Dangers of mucking about in the CMOS

Joe Davies
14-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Hi Folks!

Thanks to the people who responded to my other post about HDD transplant woes.

On my old Celeron 466 system, I'm trying to transplant another hard drive. I had a little trouble until I set the jumpers to limit the drive to 32Gb (it's a 40GB Seagate). At that point, the drive got recognized and it booted into Windows ME.

But it didn't get very far before it hung. So I restarted and went into the CMOS to see what I could find. I changed the HDD settings from auto to LBA, and that worked up to the same point, then hung again. So I changed them to "large" in the spirit of experimentation and restarted.

At that point, the computer spat the dummy big time! It hung almost as soon as it got past the bit where the video card displays its name. I can no longer access the CMOS to change the settings back.

HELP! Anyone got any suggestions?

Joe

Growly
14-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Why would a hard drive... aha! It's probably frozen in the detection stage (where it finds you hard drive). You may need to reset bios.

Growly
14-04-2004, 09:21 PM
INFACT - This isn't much of a BIOS problem yet.... try taking the motherboard battery out for about a minute, then putting it back in and turning the computer on

JJJJJ
14-04-2004, 09:42 PM
GOLDEN RULES OF BIOS ALTERING.

If you don't know what a setting means, Don't touch it.

Jack

Joe Davies
14-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Thanks, JJJJJ

That's sound advice - wish I'd heard it before I did it ...

Joe