PDA

View Full Version : a dialup box pops up everytime pc starts

iloveny69
14-04-2004, 08:14 PM
hi,

since a couple of days ago whenever i start my computer the dial up screens pops up. (winxp)

i thought maybe its a spyware so a i ran spybot but found nothing related to this and only cookies.

i thought it could be a nasty little program that collects info and sends it back to its master by making me connect to the internet

should i try running anti virus?
i have norton firewall but havent installed it yet, would that help?

thanks

Growly
14-04-2004, 08:38 PM
A firewall by definition wont do anything if you have the thing on the system already, try antivirus. Other than that, it could be as harmless as telling to stop dialing a connection automatically.

Jen C
14-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Apart from the Norton Firewall which you haven't installed yet, do you have other Norton (Symantec) products installed?

Have a read of this post (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=44928&message=249724#249724) and see whether the fix given at the bottom helps.

Susan B
14-04-2004, 08:48 PM
TO STOP DIAL UP ON START-UP: In Internet Explorer select TOOLS- INTERNET OPTIONS-ADVANCED-Scroll to SECURITY-UNCHECK "check for publisher's revocation certificate".

This information was copied and pasted into my notes from a reply to a previous post on this matter. I forgot to take note of the original supplier of this tip so am unable to give credit.

iloveny69
14-04-2004, 09:12 PM
thanks guys,